Author Topic: Rajinder  (Read 17166 times)

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
Re: Rajinder
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2008, 06:17:54 PM »
we can pretty much figure the width of the street is standard and thus we should be able to set the dimensions of the scene. Given the ratio of the long arm on the drone in photo15 and its ratio as given by photo16, we should be able to then establish the distance to the drone in photo15, and then its size by the relative distance to the streetlamp vs that to the drone.

reminded me that i don't think i ever did any distance measurements on pic 15.

measurement between the center of the utility pole and the center of the rectangular lamp.  so add maybe another 5' to the distance between the base of the out of frame light pole and the center of the main utility pole -about 40', which seems like a 2 lane road - 12' in each direction with an 8' shoulder on each side?

also, assuming both poles are on level ground then the lamp head is sitting about 20' off the ground the utility pole is measuring out to 39' high.  also not shown is the camera lens height of 5'6" from the ground.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:12:40 AM by spf33 »

Offline nekitamo

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2008, 08:39:38 AM »
Hi, spf33!

As you also recreated both images in 3D, could you please verify if my conclusion about the mutual spatial orientation of the poles in pics #15 and #16 is correct:

This is based on assumption that both images were recorded at the approximately same time of day with sun angle of ~280 degrees - seems pretty safe, as I had no problem matching shadows on both poles with their respective images by using the same light source.

If correct, this piece of information would be of great help in our search for the poles in Google Earth as it's much easier to look for something when you know what it should look like. :)

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2008, 08:43:55 AM »
This should help me in looking for the spot I hope. Thanks.

I'd much rather go there and drive around looking for it, especially give all the snow we've been getting here in the Minneapolis area. My brother just took a job at Apple, but lives in Santa Cruz, maybe I should go for a visit.