Author Topic: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone  (Read 134710 times)

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone
« on: June 27, 2008, 11:05:20 PM »
First of all, when this isn't in the right category I apologize, but I thought when this scale model is done it can be used for research on the shadows, so I put it here.

In this thread I will keep you updated on the progress of the model, the model will be made on the Rapid Prototype machines I have to my disposal on the Rapid Prototyping company I work for.

We have Stereolithography machines like in the movie below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3gHHeD6cv8&feature=related

An Objet Eden500V Polyjet, also mentioned in the movie below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwOaoMxELmo

And vacuum casting systems like the one's mentioned below.

http://www.mk-technology.com/anlagen.html?&L=2

I will use the vacuum casting machines to copy the 'antenna's' on top of the drone, the photopolymer resins of the printers are to fragile for those 'antenna's' ,the composite vacuum cast polyeruthane resins are far more durable, just like ordinary plastics.
But of course I will use an Objet model as a master.

For building and finishing the model, my 15 years experience as a professional modelmaker will come in handy   ;D 8)

But first things first, last night I made some corrections on the CAD model, I would like to have some constructive criticism on the CADmodel to make it even better. So below you will find an updated Edrawing file which you can view with this free program called Edrawings.
You can download it from here  http://www.solidworks.com/pages/programs/eDrawings/e2_downloadcheck.html

(you don't have to check the Yes, I want to view 3D XML and PRO/E files using eDrawings viewer)

Edrawing file  Raj Drone-> Edrawing_03-07-2008

Edrawing file  Chad Drone-> Edrawing_03-07-2008

« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 09:57:55 PM by HPO »

Offline nekitamo

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
Re: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2008, 12:30:44 AM »
Can't wait for some pictures when it's done. Hope we'll get to see them? :)
Anyway, here's something I've noticed about the "wires" on the upper side of the small fins, their number seems to vary:

This is also the case with Chad's drone (bottom part of the image).

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 01:53:56 AM »
Can't wait for some pictures when it's done. Hope we'll get to see them? :)
Anyway, here's something I've noticed about the "wires" on the upper side of the small fins, their number seems to vary:

This is also the case with Chad's drone (bottom part of the image).

Of course you get to see them  :), I will also post pictures of the build.

Your right about the wires, I have changed it accordingly, I forgot to change that  ;), they where copies of the one parallel to the Big arm.

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 03:57:35 AM »
I have 2 simple questions:
1. What is the purpose of the model?
2. What will the cost of the model be?
IC
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline BigFnTuna

• Full Dronie
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »
HPO,

I think it's great that you are doing the model...  Will be a good tool to further the research done here and maybe give us some perspective of the possibility of a model being used in the photos...

Also, could someone please post a shot of the model, I can't get the download to execute >.<

Tuna

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:32:53 AM »
I have 2 simple questions:
1. What is the purpose of the model?
2. What will the cost of the model be?
IC

Leviathan, this model started as a personel study on the drone, how it is put together, I thought the best way to do that, was to draw this drone myself in a CAD program.
But after a while I was thinking that it would be great to have a scale model of this drone, because it is an intriging design and will look good at the office or study at home  :)

So we got all those nice machines standing around for building prototypes for customers, I showed the CAD model at my boss/colleague and asked if I could build it as a personel project on those machines.
He liked the idea because it is a very detailed object , so it will also be a technology demonstrator at trade fairs (could be interesting to watch the reactions of visitors at the fairs), we don't do fairs in the U.S. , and in Europe I don't think many people have seen that thing before, but who knows.

This also answers the question of the costs, there will be none (not personal anyway, only for the company as an investment) I could make a calculation on costs as if it was build for a customer, but I don't have determed the size yet, personally I would like to build it as big as possible but there are limits on costs of course.
As for now, the model will be approximate 75cm long /27,5 inches.

I'm very curious if I can reproduces the shadows in the photo's, we don't have the same lighting conditions as in California, but it will be interesting to test it out. (I hope I don't crash the thing, when it is suspended  ::) )

HPO,

I think it's great that you are doing the model...  Will be a good tool to further the research done here and maybe give us some perspective of the possibility of a model being used in the photos...

Also, could someone please post a shot of the model, I can't get the download to execute >.<

Tuna

Tuna,....what does not execute?, Edrawings itself (the program) or the drawing.

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »
As for now, the model will be approximate 75cm long /27,5 inches.

wow!  much larger than i thought would be.
as someone who has kept somewhat of a distant eye on the technology (self replicating printer-self replicating robot), the idea of  printing the 3d drone at home is fascinating.

I'm very curious if I can reproduces the shadows in the photo's...

i would think this would be the very first thing that needs to be examined.

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008, 04:37:13 PM »
HPO, thank you for your reply.  Here is why I am interested.

As you may know, this device has been a controversy from the beginning.  We here have made 50+ CG Drone models and partial Drone models.  From my experience with photo-polymer crafting and other methods, I am well aware of this technology.  The cost to a customer of the finished model, at the size you decide on, would be of interest to this research in showing some of the expense involved in this "HOAX" to the originators if it is a hoax.  The suspension of the model, placing it in the location, etc. would of course be other expenses.  Our little group here are not strangers to reproducing and designing items for industrial design (including by way of spark erosion).  We also DO NOT believe these devices (Drones) or the Isaac devices have a mundane explanation.  Models, CG, or whatever it is, an ordinary or lighthearted explanation will not solve this puzzle.  We appreciate your response and look forward to a successful completion of your project.
Leviathan
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008, 07:41:59 PM »
@ spf33

Yep,...seen those before, great stuff to have at home, only the accuracy is still lacking, but they will improve to some degree over time I guess, but more accuracy also means you need better (more expensive) materials to build the machine.
The Rapid Prototype market is an ongoing development; new machines, new materials, more accuracy etc.

@ Leviathan

It will indeed be a good reference of the expense involved, I will make a calculation made on material costs, I don't think that manhours is important in this case, because if it is a hoax they probably did it in their free time, unless it still is some kind of viral of course.
If the drone in the photo's is a model, I think it is big, to big for this kind of RP machines we got, you probably have to think at a high speed milling machine to make such an accurate and big model, but then again the amount of machine hours involved in such a project will be enormous.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 07:45:48 PM by HPO »

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008, 07:49:34 PM »

I'm very curious if I can reproduces the shadows in the photo's...

i would think this would be the very first thing that needs to be examined.

Please keep in mind that OTF found evidence that suggested the Capitola drone small arms were not perfectly aligned.  Remember the BB object and the not fully closed cage bars?

« Last Edit: June 28, 2008, 09:06:23 PM by 10538 »

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 11:10:03 AM »
Please keep in mind that OTF found evidence that suggested the Capitola drone small arms were not perfectly aligned.  Remember the BB object and the not fully closed cage bars?

Yes I will,...I'm actually looking in to methods to detach and adjust the appendices, I was thinking at using small neodymium magnets.
I also need to make some space in the main ring to put some ballast in, to get the drone in balans when it is suspended on a minimum amount of wires.

-HPO-

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 05:53:21 PM »
The misalignment is not neccessary for your model, HPO.  I was thinking more about shadow analysis.

Offline BigFnTuna

• Full Dronie
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 08:28:12 PM »

It is working and that is very impressive work!  I can't wait to see the model that comes from that! 8)

Tuna

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 11:58:58 PM »

It is working and that is very impressive work!  I can't wait to see the model that comes from that! 8)

Tuna

Ok good,......and thanks  :)

Here's a little update, I've made a section view in witch you can see the construction I'm planning on the main Ring and some of the attachments like the antenna's etc.
The main ring is going to be build in three parts.

All work in progress of course.

-HPO-

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2008, 05:34:32 AM »
All work in progress of course.

looking really good.  although keenly aware of the speculation involved your render is nicely satisfying!

thanks for the updated max file, i'll let you know as soon as possible how it works out.