Author Topic: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone  (Read 138737 times)

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
Re: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 06:07:16 PM »
All work in progress of course.

looking really good.  although keenly aware of the speculation involved your render is nicely satisfying!

thanks for the updated max file, i'll let you know as soon as possible how it works out.

Thanks,....but to what speculation are you referring, to how the real drone could work or speculating on how to build the model.
And take your time with the new MAX file, I'm curious on what your thoughts are on the dimension and proportion changes.

-HPO-

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 03:09:42 AM »
Thanks,....but to what speculation are you referring, to how the real drone could work or speculating on how to build the model.

when you put it that way, both i guess.  but i was referring to the building of the model.

And take your time with the new MAX file,

so...when can we expect the chad drone solidworks model to be completed?  ;)

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:41 AM »
Nice work HPO!!!
Can't wait to see this model. My small paper model isnt finished yet, cannot find time  :(

Please be sure to take good pictures of it when ready!  ;)
I have just one observation about your CGI model (the best I've seen, kicks Salads ass  :) )

Looks like there are some very small squares in the rear surface of the raj drone:

Please don't miss it ;D
Regards
Ark

Whoooooo

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 12:04:11 PM »
so...when can we expect the chad drone solidworks model to be completed?  ;)

Hehe  :D,..well I will look into it, will not be that hard to adjust the 'Raj' model.
The BB drone is another story  8), that one will take lots of time.

Nice work HPO!!!
Can't wait to see this model. My small paper model isnt finished yet, cannot find time  :(

Please be sure to take good pictures of it when ready!  ;)
I have just one observation about your CGI model (the best I've seen, kicks Salads ass  :) )

Looks like there are some very small squares in the rear surface of the raj drone:

Please don't miss it ;D
Regards
Ark

Thanks Ark  8),...you've got a good eye for detail, missed that one, I will put it in.
I also saw another geometry thingy in your comparison picture i have to adjust.
Anything else you saw?, this is just the kind of comments i need.... thanks.

-HPO-

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Moved in the appropriate thread here

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 12:54:42 PM by elevenaugust »

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 10:03:40 PM »
As requested,...the Solid works chad drone  ;)

The Edrawing file link can also be found at post one of this topic.

I will send you a Max file as soon as possible spf33.

I've also put an updated Raj drone file over there, I did not yet put the small squares of Arkhangels in it because I have found something odd about them that I have to look into.

-HPO-
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 10:14:36 PM by HPO »

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 10:44:38 PM »
HPO, have you decided what the size of the finished model will be?  Also, will all the model specifications be available here at DRT as to materials, approximate costs, the dimensions of the various elements,etc.  I believe time here is very important.
IC
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 11:46:58 PM »
Hi Lev,...no not decided yet, at the moment I'm adjusting the model to make it as cost efficient as possible, as in,... making it hollow and such.
The less material the machine needs to build the model the better, when that's done I have more insight in how long the machine will need to build the model at a specific size, the software of the machines can calculate the buildtime.

And yes, I will give a complete as possible calculation of costs, I will also include manhour costs (unlike I said before) for building and finishing the model.

-HPO-
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:49:05 PM by HPO »

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2008, 01:05:50 AM »
Your Chad model is incredible!

And if you render it, it will kick the ass of any other chad drone already made, of any other supposed "CGI expert" out there, I'm pretty sure!

That's because you are the only one that made the top cage correctly, with the right curvature and thickness, and I'm not even talking about details...
And you sharing your model just show how honest you are, It pleases me to know that there's people that are really just searching for the truth and not recognition or ego-food.  ;)

Thanks for helping us with your effort in this saga!
 :)
Regards
Ark

Whoooooo

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2008, 07:27:14 PM »
Your Chad model is incredible!

And if you render it, it will kick the ass of any other chad drone already made, of any other supposed "CGI expert" out there, I'm pretty sure!

That's because you are the only one that made the top cage correctly, with the right curvature and thickness, and I'm not even talking about details...

And you sharing your model just show how honest you are, It pleases me to know that there's people that are really just searching for the truth and not recognition or ego-food.  ;)

Thanks for helping us with your effort in this saga!
 :)
Regards
Ark

Thanks again Ark  :) ,...spf33 asked about the model month's ago, but I didn't read the private message's on OMF  :-[  .
It was indeed my personel research on the drone, on how it's put together, and on how quick it could be drawn in a CAD program, and if anybody else wants to use it for testing purposes, why not.

The render was a test on how close I could get with the software I have to my disposal, we use Vue6 occasionally for rendering at work.
But like any other render I've seen,  close but no sigar. If it's a render it's done with very professional dedicated software IMO. But who am I.

It had nothing to do with ego food, I'm not that kind of guy. I'm always saying, "don't think your the one, there's always someone who's better" 
I'm to much of a perfectionist for that.

-HPO-

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 10:46:27 PM »
HPO, we hope your model is coming well, any news.  What will this model be used for besides trade shows and experimentation.  It would be of great interest to us to know if the model will have longevity or if the materials have a short life span.  Will the polymer hold up?  How will sunlight affect it?  Thanking you in advance for any info you might provide.  We have a vested interest it this model becoming a tangible object occupying height, length, width, and time (the more the better).
Thanks again.
IC

I haven't begun with building the model yet, due to the rush at work. The machines are totally filled with customer parts the last weeks, seems like every designer wants to have his parts before the holidays.
But this coming weekend it looks like I have some space, I will start with the main arm on a Stereolithography machine. It's going to be build in an ABS like resin Resin SL7580 on a 0.1 mm layer thickness.

The total lenght of the model will be around 68 cm / 26,77 inches from the tip of the main arm to the tip of the shorter appendage on the opposite site, the main ring will be 15 cm 5,9 inches in diameter.
So it will not be a very big model, but I have to keep an eye at the costs involved to make this model, I will make a  post calculation when it's ready but you must think in thousands of Euro's/Dollars for a completed and painted model when I had to build this for a customer.
As an example, we where building a series of 50 USB sticks for a design company, all with different logo's and different spraypainted finishes, from high gloss to to a soft touch paint, that order was in an amount of 11.000 Euro's because of all the labour involved.

Apart from being used at trade shows and photo experimentation, there isn't much else it can be used for, apart from looking good in my office of course  :D

The longevity can be a problem with this model, particularly the appendages, STL resins will bend under it's own weight at a longer time span and stay bend when it's not supported in some way or the other. But the ABS like SL7580 resin is the best choice in that regard.
I will use metal wires over the full lenght inside the arms to support them, the main arm has 4 wires anyway.
Sunlight will indeed affect the material because of it being a photopolymer, the UV wavelenght will make it yellow and brittle over time, but the model will be spraypainted so it's protected against UV light.

When you have more questions, please ask, I'll try to answer them.

-HPO-

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 07:01:43 PM »
HPO, as usual an excellent and thorough response.  We very much appreciate your answers to our questions and your contribution to the DRT.  It is posters such as yourself that contribute in such a positive manner.  This is the hallmark of this DRT Site and all here deserve praise for their varied work on this important issue.
Thank you,
IC
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 12:10:01 AM »
Ok,...the first parts are being build as I write  :)

Some pictures:

First the job preparation of the main arm, managing and sometimes correcting the support structures.

And a picture of the machine building it, this is a 4 second exposure on a tripod. The laser is drawing the outlines of the parts (the borders) of 1 of the layers in this picture.
After drawing the borders the laser will fill up the space in between.

-HPO-

Online Nemo492

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
    • Ovnis-USA
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 12:21:12 AM »
Many thanks for posting the various stages of the process !
It's not only interesting as a technology but that looks great too.
http://ovnis-usa.com
The only motivation for the DRT is finding the truth.

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2008, 01:32:01 AM »
fantastic, hpo!
thanks to you and your company, it's a real treat to watch this developing.