Author Topic: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone  (Read 141487 times)

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
Re: Building a scale model of the 'Raj' drone
« Reply #165 on: October 01, 2008, 09:40:01 PM »

The cgi people made a mistake and did not make the arms the same length!  :o

;D ,....funny, when I first looked at the picture on the kamera display I thought the same thing  :o
it's striking what perspective and a kamera lens can do, they are only about 15cm apart, but they are of course of the same lenght.

Made some different Decals for the thinner arms,....Looks much better this way !

Nice!  Amazing detail.  What do the decals say?  Are they lap characters?

At this point, HPO, can you reflect on the supposed model hoax theory?  I mean now that you have a good handle on how much work actually goes into building only one of these from scratch (even without all the work to design these things).

Makes me scratch my head when I consider from just the object standpoint alone how much work goes into something like this and for what?  To give the internet something to laugh off?

Yes they are all Lap characters, and all readable  :) , about the model hoax theory,... when I look at the sharp edges on some of the details on the drone on the photo, when it was a model, it must have been a lot bigger then my drone model of 70cm.
Our machine can produce amazing details, but when sanded and painted, edges lose their sharpness and small details are getting blurry,
even when I use an Airbrush for painting.

But when it was a big model you get other problems, like bending of the arms under their own weight, and of course the costs involved when using strong and stiff enough material.
And like you said, why would someone make such a big model and never take the credits for it?

When it is a hoax, I still would go for a CGI hoax, but again, why ??,  for a coming movie ??, for a laugh ??

And yes it's easier to recreate something then actually design from scratch, but of course not impossible, as a Rapid Prototyper I see new designs every day from car manufacturers or architects or new electronic products, and some of them are very complicated designs.

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #166 on: October 01, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »
From someone who has worked on the CG aspect of the Drones, I will tell you, they are more than CG.  What are they (ALL FOUR DIFFERENT DRONES) I can only guess.  How many times do the naysayers mention FOUR DIFFERENT DRONES (maybe 5) with distinct designs.
L E V I A T H A N
PS:  it is wonderful to never darken the door of OMF or UFO CASEBOOK again.
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #167 on: October 05, 2008, 12:34:01 AM »
Nice model HPO, its finally ready (or not?)!

Well anyway it is great and I cant wait to see the tests made on it.
 ;) :D
Regards
Ark

Whoooooo

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #168 on: October 05, 2008, 12:56:56 PM »
Nice model HPO, its finally ready (or not?)!

Well yes and no,....It's ready for the big part, but the problems with the antennas still exist.
Some of them are very persistent, after a few hours they are back in their bended form again.

At the moment I'm designing a mould for a new set of antennas, the antennas will then be cast with a better resin in a silicone mould.
The antennas will be build in the objet with a casting rig already attached, so hopefully they will keep their form.

They are really one of the most difficult parts to create (in this scale anyway).

BTW. I didn't make the deadline for the first trade fair, only the item15 was on display, no interesting reactions from the public there.

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #169 on: October 06, 2008, 04:33:42 AM »
Actually why don't you just make a ring to stabilize the antenna and just stick them through it, we know it is a model and you do not have to make it appear as though it were the real thing. But this shows the photographs are not simply those made from a model with the problems they represent.

As a model maker, I'd look also at going to a metal part to better conform to pattern, as the plastic seems to have a mind to its own.

Offline leviathan

• Major Dronie
    • L E V I A T H A N
« Reply #170 on: October 06, 2008, 04:52:48 AM »
Now we have seen difficulty with a CG model and Difficulty with a physical model.  To me that points in a certain direction.  I believe both the CG and physical problems could be overcome, but we have been lead to believe by certain "experts" that this whole affair could be done in a teen's bedroom with about an hour spent on the whole project.
L E V I A T H A N
We at L E V I A T H A N were banned from the UFO Casebook Forum and it is so sad.
http://livyatan.blogspot.com/

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #171 on: October 06, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »
Actually why don't you just make a ring to stabilize the antenna and just stick them through it, we know it is a model and you do not have to make it appear as though it were the real thing. But this shows the photographs are not simply those made from a model with the problems they represent.

As a model maker, I'd look also at going to a metal part to better conform to pattern, as the plastic seems to have a mind to its own.

Hi majicbar,...yes of course I could do that, but this model isn't only for testing purposes, it's also a model to demonstrate the capabilities of our machines and techniques, so I first go through al our capabilities before I give up.

Now we have seen difficulty with a CG model and Difficulty with a physical model.  To me that points in a certain direction.  I believe both the CG and physical problems could be overcome, but we have been lead to believe by certain "experts" that this whole affair could be done in a teen's bedroom with about an hour spent on the whole project.
L E V I A T H A N

I agree with you there,...if hoax, this isn't done in a short period of time by only one person.

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #172 on: October 07, 2008, 05:58:55 AM »
I don't think I've said so, so far, HPO this is really interesting work you have done and it adds much to the research aspect of the drone saga. THANKS!

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #173 on: October 07, 2008, 07:39:43 AM »
Yes you are right you didn't  :),....and thanks.

Offline Nemo492

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
    • Ovnis-USA
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2008, 06:05:37 PM »
@ HPO :
more about your recreation on Ovnis-USA today :
http://ovnis-usa.com/2008/10/08/mercredi-8-octobre/
http://ovnis-usa.com
The only motivation for the DRT is finding the truth.

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2008, 09:37:58 PM »
@ HPO :

Thanks Nemo !

And a little update up here.

The first steps in making a silicone mould for the antennas.

First, designing a casting rig in Solid Works ( I did put some LAP characters in, just because their nice to look at)

Second, build three copies of it in the Objet polyjet.

After cleaning (very carefully this time, and not in the waterjet) a comparison with the Drone model.

And last but not the least, a shot from underneath the drone (still with the old antennas).

And no, I did not try to copy the photo yet,... it was a very dangerous exercise the way I made this one  8).

I want to make a safe suspension rig before I 'm going to experiment with the light and so on, this photo was made with an external flash, and with a focal length of 25.6mm (16mm x 1,6 ccd sensor correction) and about 1,6 meter from the object.

-HPO-

Offline nekitamo

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #176 on: October 10, 2008, 03:39:05 AM »
@ HPO :

Sorry for being off-topic, but this reminds me of something I wanted to mention to you ever since I started following your ovnis-usa.com page bookmarked with Google translation: how about adding this or some other similar tool somewhere on your page to make it easier for your first-time international readers:

I admit the translation is often far from perfect, but it is usable - and IMO your great summaries of actual UFO topics certainly deserve much wider international public.

Offline Nemo492

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
    • Ovnis-USA
« Reply #177 on: October 10, 2008, 12:24:10 PM »
Thanks ! I'll figure out something of this kind by the week-end..

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #178 on: October 10, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »

Sorry for being off-topic, but this reminds me of something I wanted to mention to you ever since I started following your ovnis-usa.com page bookmarked with Google translation: how about adding this or some other similar tool somewhere on your page to make it easier for your first-time international readers:

I admit the translation is often far from perfect, but it is usable - and IMO your great summaries of actual UFO topics certainly deserve much wider international public.

You don't need to be sorry, and I agree with you.

You do a great job with your website Didier, it's a great summarise of all the latest UFO news and I'm honoured to be in it, although I don't consider myself as UFO news  8).
I use Yahoos Babelfish for translation (French to English) and it's quit readable.

Offline Nemo492

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
    • Ovnis-USA
« Reply #179 on: October 11, 2008, 03:26:06 PM »
Thanks again !
Now there is a multi-translator on my Ovnis-USA blog,
at the bottom of the right side-bar.
But the Google tool would require some improvement.
BTW : it could be improved if only it could benefit from the user's feedback.