Author Topic: VonStern Magazine  (Read 144689 times)

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
Re: VonStern Magazine
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2011, 03:31:52 am »
tomi,- you are onto something great! Very beautiful to watch!  :D

Garrett Lisi: A beautiful new theory of everything

EVS

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 02:04:59 pm by EVS »

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #166 on: September 28, 2011, 03:24:10 am »
http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21128241.700-beyond-spacetime-welcome-to-phase-space.html

Beyond space-time: Welcome to phase space

A theory of reality beyond Einstein's universe is taking shape â??
EVS

Very interesting, EVS.  Thanks for posting that.  My thoughts are that reality is actually something very similar.  I don't really think we can ever get close to the truth until we let go of all that Einstein dogma.  That in my opinion, is holding science back.

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #167 on: September 28, 2011, 06:42:59 pm »
Very interesting, EVS.  Thanks for posting that.  My thoughts are that reality is actually something very similar.  I don't really think we can ever get close to the truth until we let go of all that Einstein dogma.  That in my opinion, is holding science back.

Thanks, Numbers!

The real credit should go to spinnewise, as it was provided by this member.

Afraid of making you angry, I want to let you know this:

I think that our world is changing rapidly these years, and as you say, the Einsteinian
rules might not extend into severe quantum mechanisms, allthough Einstein was aware
that there was something "out of the ordinary" that was/is taken place in the Cosmos, even when
he noticed that these theories was beyond even his own theories. So, he actually admits that
there is something like "quantum entanglement", only he wasn't able to fit it into his
many verifiable equations at his time. In fact, these theories did make himself question
his great work on the "theory of everything" that actually was discussed at his time, and
by himself.

---o0o---

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_entanglement

Research into quantum entanglement was initiated by the EPR paradox paper of Albert Einstein, Boris Podolsky and Nathan Rosen in 1935,[8] and several papers by Erwin Schrödinger shortly thereafter.[9][10] Although these first studies focused on the counterintuitive properties of entanglement, with the aim of criticizing quantum mechanics, eventually entanglement was verified experimentally, and recognized as a valid, fundamental feature of quantum mechanics; the focus of the research has now changed to its utilization as a resource for communication and computation.

---o0o---

"Quantum entanglement is so strange, in fact, that Einstein called it â??spooky action at a distance.â?"

http://www.popsci.com/scitech/article/2009-06/quantum-entaglement

A group of scientists at the National Institute of Standards and Technology recently came a step closer to figuring out where the boundary lies between the quantum and classical physical worlds, and their discovery has big implications for the future of quantum computersâ?? which would have much faster and more powerful processors than our computers do today.

--o0o--

Additional reference:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/qt-entangle/

In 1935 and 1936, Schrödinger published a two-part article in the Proceedings of the Cambridge Philosophical Society in which he discussed and extended a remarkable argument by Einstein, Podolsky, and Rosen. The Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen (EPR) argument was, in many ways, the culmination of Einstein's critique of the orthodox Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics, and was designed to show that the theory is incomplete. (See The Einstein-Podolsky-Rosen Argument in Quantum Theory and Copenhagen Interpretation of Quantum Mechanics.) In classical mechanics the state of a system is essentially a list of the system's properties â?? more precisely, it is the specification of a set of parameters from which the list of properties can be reconstructed: the positions and momenta of all the particles comprising the system (or similar parameters in the case of fields). The dynamics of the theory specifies how properties change in terms of a law of evolution for the state. Pauli characterized this mode of description of physical systems as a â??detached observerâ?? idealization. See Pauli's letter to Born in The Born-Einstein Letters (Born, 1992; p. 218). On the Copenhagen interpretation, such a description is not possible for quantum systems. Instead, the quantum state of a system should be understood as a catalogue of what an observer has done to the system and what has been observed, and the import of the state then lies in the probabilities that can be inferred (in terms of the theory) for the outcomes of possible future observations on the system. Einstein rejected this view and proposed a series of arguments to show that the quantum state is simply an incomplete characterization of the system. The missing parameters are sometimes referred to as â??hidden parametersâ?? or â??hidden variablesâ?? (although Einstein did not use this terminology, presumably because he did not want to endorse any particular â??hidden variableâ?? theory).

--o0o--

But, I sure follow your eagerness to step into this new age, and it sure will bring even more compromises to the old way
of looking at our physical environment. Need I say, better telescopes, so that we can find even more strange worlds, better
microscopes etc. in order to find better healing methods, better Colliders, like the LHC...and I could go on..

Sure, the drones is working many more theories than this, so therefor we continue our search for this even newer technology,
maybe we someday make this our new "theory of everything"...new times, - new thinkers..

So, as you say, and then as I read it, Einstein was quite ahead of his time, may we also find ourselves to be excactly that! Please consider
this before dumping Einstein all the way! To pick up on his heritage takes/requires some deeper thinking!  ;D ;)

Thanks,
EVS

PS: There's an even stronger postulate that Einstein might have been wrong, when his theories depends on that
there is nothing in the Universe travelling faster than light, see my previous post:

Neutrinos travels faster than light?:
http://press.web.cern.ch/press/PressReleases/Releases2011/PR19.11E.html
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 10:09:47 pm by EVS »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2011, 11:38:02 pm »
thanks for posting it EVS  :)

this theory takes care of the fact that our universe is not made of 3-dimensional things but of 4-dimensional events

I'm sure there's more here than we are able to fathom as of today's common knowledge.

Someday we will read this and say, "I told you so"  ;D

Believe me, we are (at least Us who are still interested in our progressive human evolvement that this
giant "hint" that this Drone Case is) on the right track here.  :D

I no longer see this "Drone Case" as an elaborate hoax, but as a hint to Us all, to think "out of the box" and
to really consider whom of which we are going to believe, be it scientists or the press, we sure have
to make up our own mind about this!

EVS
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 04:02:08 pm by EVS »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #169 on: September 30, 2011, 11:57:41 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_space

In mathematics and physics, a phase space, introduced by Willard Gibbs in 1901,[1] is a space in which all possible states of a system are represented, with each possible state of the system corresponding to one unique point in the phase space. For mechanical systems, the phase space usually consists of all possible values of position and momentum variables.

A plot of position and momentum variables as a function of time is sometimes called a phase plot or a phase diagram. Phase diagram, however, is more usually reserved in the physical sciences for a diagram showing the various regions of stability of the thermodynamic phases of a chemical system, which consists of pressure, temperature, and composition.

---o0o---

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

For the advanced reader:

http://www.math.ucla.edu/~tao/preprints/phase_space.pdf

EVS
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 12:06:41 am by EVS »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2011, 01:50:22 pm »
Brain scan research 'reconstructs images from human minds'

Brain scan research 'reconstructs images from human minds'

--o0o--

Japanese Dream Recording Machine

Japanese Dream Recording Machine

EVS

Offline spinnewise

• Founding Dronie
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2011, 05:46:07 pm »
thanks for posting it EVS  :)

this theory takes care of the fact that our universe is not made of 3-dimensional things but of 4-dimensional events

I'm sure there's more here than we are able to fathom as of today's common knowledge.

Someday we will read this and say, "I told you so"  ;D

Believe me, we are (at least Us who are still interested in our progressive human evolvement that this
giant "hint" that this Drone Case is) on the right track here.  :D

I no longer see this "Drone Case" as an elaborate hoax, but as a hint to Us all, to think "out of the box" and
to really consider whom of which we are going to believe, be it scientists or the press, we sure have
to make up our own mind about this!

EVS

i tend to agree
real or elaborated hoax
there remains a question for me personally:
how did that symbols get into my dreams back in 1967?

Still looking for gorillas

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2011, 06:22:02 pm »
EVS, with that brain scanning machine, I think they are totally on the wrong track and won't come back... why?  Ok.. look at something.. Close your eyes and then rub your eyes with them closed gently, the image you will see in your "minds eye" is exactly what you were looking at and matches exactly their videos.   This is not reading someone's mind, it is reading someone's retina..  It is identical to what you see when you rub your eyes closed. So.. I dunno about their whole premise, but it is a far cry away from reading someone's mind in my mind.. :)

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2011, 09:11:10 pm »
EVS, with that brain scanning machine, I think they are totally on the wrong track and won't come back... why?  Ok.. look at something.. Close your eyes and then rub your eyes with them closed gently, the image you will see in your "minds eye" is exactly what you were looking at and matches exactly their videos.   This is not reading someone's mind, it is reading someone's retina..  It is identical to what you see when you rub your eyes closed. So.. I dunno about their whole premise, but it is a far cry away from reading someone's mind in my mind.. :)

Oh, this is brain scans, but I know what you're talking about "seeing" the recent picture in your "mind". This is far more than that,
this is reading the center in your brain where images are collected/created:

http://pinktentacle.com/2008/12/scientists-extract-images-directly-from-brain/

Researchers from Japan's ATR Computational Neuroscience Laboratories have developed new brain analysis technology that can reconstruct the images inside a person's mind and display them on a computer monitor, it was announced on December 11. According to the researchers, further development of the technology may soon make it possible to view other people's dreams while they sleep.

The scientists were able to reconstruct various images viewed by a person by analyzing changes in their cerebral blood flow. Using a functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) machine, the researchers first mapped the blood flow changes that occurred in the cerebral visual cortex as subjects viewed various images held in front of their eyes. Subjects were shown 400 random 10 x 10 pixel black-and-white images for a period of 12 seconds each. While the fMRI machine monitored the changes in brain activity, a computer crunched the data and learned to associate the various changes in brain activity with the different image designs.

---o0o---

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/2011/09/new-technology-creates-movies-from-brain-scans.html

Mind reading, recording dreams ... both the makings of great movies. But what once was science fiction is now one step closer to real science.

A group of researchers from the University of California at Berkeley were able to reconstruct movies clips using scans of their subjects' brain activity.

The report -- published last week in Biology Today, along with images that soon went viral online -- could open the door to advances in health and medicine in the future.

"A therapist might have a patient that says, 'I am feeling horrible and I don't know why.' And he could say, 'Let's look at the images generated in your brain,'" said Thomas Naselaris, one of the study's co-authors and a post doctoral fellow at U.C. Berkeley. "Now I think it's safe to say that the study we just published is a step in that direction, but we don't know how big a step it may be. It could be very small or may be very big."

---o0o---

I am thinking a bit further, when this discovery is fully developed, and used on higher ranking animals (mammals), then
the dish "eggs and bacon" will have a different taste.... :-X

Once we learn how animals see the world, then we might have to write our morals over!

This discovery has enormous potential, if not historical proportions....

---o0o---

EVS

PS: Remember, I'm only the messenger, and are only responsible for the post, not for the content of same, besides my own statements. You all have to make up your own mind from what is presented here, as always.  :D ;D

« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 09:45:48 am by EVS »

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #174 on: October 09, 2011, 07:01:07 am »
I'm not sure EVS if anything that I said is any different from what you described.  They are sensing some activity in the brain, the same as we see when we look at something but then close our eyes, and by rubbing the outside of our eyes for me at least it helped to clarify in my mind what my eyes had just seen.  So how is this different?

After reading this article a few weeks ago, I was thinking about it for awhile which is the reason I posted a reply to it after you posted it.  I've thought about it and I think it is another layer of research that just speculates and poses itself in a way that continues to get funding .. but they are not necessarily onto "reading peoples minds".   

For instance..  Here's how I rationalise my assessment of what I've read about it. Think of a penguin.. and an ice cube.  With your eyes wide open.  You don't have to "picture" a penguin in your mind.  You know what one looks like.  And an ice cube.  How big is that ice cube?  Could the Penguin stand on it?  Like is it the size of a box or smaller than the foot of the penguin.. At some stage you might visualise the penguin and ice cube in your mind, where they may be able to sense it, but up to that point, there is a part of the brain where activity takes place that hold your thoughts and thinking way beyond the scope of you trying to visualise it.   Just my opinion.  I personally take a lot of this "research" with a big grain of scepticism.

And try to visualise a big grain of scepticism... :)  That helps make my point !   

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #175 on: October 09, 2011, 09:58:36 am »
I'm not sure EVS if anything that I said is any different from what you described.  They are sensing some activity in the brain, the same as we see when we look at something but then close our eyes, and by rubbing the outside of our eyes for me at least it helped to clarify in my mind what my eyes had just seen.  So how is this different?

After reading this article a few weeks ago, I was thinking about it for awhile which is the reason I posted a reply to it after you posted it.  I've thought about it and I think it is another layer of research that just speculates and poses itself in a way that continues to get funding .. but they are not necessarily onto "reading peoples minds".   

For instance..  Here's how I rationalise my assessment of what I've read about it. Think of a penguin.. and an ice cube.  With your eyes wide open.  You don't have to "picture" a penguin in your mind.  You know what one looks like.  And an ice cube.  How big is that ice cube?  Could the Penguin stand on it?  Like is it the size of a box or smaller than the foot of the penguin.. At some stage you might visualise the penguin and ice cube in your mind, where they may be able to sense it, but up to that point, there is a part of the brain where activity takes place that hold your thoughts and thinking way beyond the scope of you trying to visualise it.   Just my opinion.  I personally take a lot of this "research" with a big grain of scepticism.

And try to visualise a big grain of scepticism... :)  That helps make my point !   

tomi, I see your point! One can't visualize a thought alone, but when we think of a place, or people - even emotions, we "draw" a rough image in a particular part of our brain, and this center are the same place our dreams "materialize".

This technique is about "reading" the visual area of our brain, not to establish where our thoughts originate from. It's certainly not a classic "mind-reading" example.

Besides, this is all in it's infancy, when refined and fully developed it sure will be a good tool, but also something to handle with great care.   :o

Just my thoughts (not readable in a scanner, simple thinking - no pictures!!), tomi   ;D

EVS
« Last Edit: October 09, 2011, 02:36:42 pm by EVS »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #176 on: October 23, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »
'Single-Crystal' Superconductors are a Big Step for the Field

http://www.physorg.com/news139139958.html

(PhysOrg.com) -- In key advances for the field of superconductivity, a research group has created versions of a class of widely studied superconducting compounds that are each one continuous crystal, rather than composed of many crystalline grains. These single-crystal materials are important achievements because they display better properties than polycrystalline types and are easier to study.

EVS

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #177 on: October 23, 2011, 11:26:50 pm »
http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-10-clock-quantum-mechanics-relativity.html

The unification of quantum mechanics and Einstein's general relativity is one of the most exciting and still open questions in modern physics. General relativity, the joint theory of gravity, space and time gives predictions that become clearly evident on a cosmic scale of stars and galaxies. Quantum effects, on the other hand, are fragile and are typically observed on small scales, e.g. when considering single particles and atoms. That is why it is very hard to test the interplay between quantum mechanics and general relativity. Now theoretical physicists led by Prof. Caslav Brukner at the University of Vienna propose a novel experiment which can probe the overlap of the two theories. The focus of the work is to measure the general relativistic notion of time on a quantum scale. The findings will be published this week in Nature Communications.

EVS

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #178 on: October 31, 2011, 11:10:35 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standing_wave

---o0o---

http://arxiv.org/abs/1004.1100

The full paper: (High Lights: stationary density wave)

http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1004/1004.1100.pdf

We present a model for cuprate superconductivity based on the identification of an experimentally detected "local superconductor" as a charge 2 fermion pairing in a circular, stationary density wave. This wave acts like a highly correlated local "boson" satisfying a modified Cooper problem with additional correlation stabilization relative to the separate right- and left-handed density waves composing it. This local "boson" could be formed in a two-bound roton-like manner; it has Fermion statistics. Delocalized superconductive pairing (superconductivity) is achieved by a Feshbach resonance of two unpaired holes (electrons) resonating with a virtual energy level of the bound pair state of the local "boson" as described by the Boson-Fermion-Gossamer (BFG) model. The spin-charge order interaction offers an explanation for the overall shape of the superconducting dome as well a microscopic basis for the cuprate superconducting transition temperatures. An explanation of the correlation of superconducting transition temperature with experimental inelastic neutron and electron Raman scattering is proposed, based on the energy of the virtual bound pair. These and other modifications discussed suggest a microscopic explanation for the entire cuprate superconductivity dome shape.

---o0o---

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/standing+wave

standing wave

(Physics / General Physics) Physics the periodic disturbance in a medium resulting from the combination of two waves of equal frequency and intensity travelling in opposite directions. There are generally two kinds of displacement, and the maximum value of the amplitude of one of these occurs at the same points as the minimum value of the amplitude of the other. Thus in the case of electromagnetic radiation the amplitude of the oscillations of the electric field has its greatest value at the points at which the magnetic oscillation is zero, and vice versa Also called stationary wave Compare node, antinode
Collins English Dictionary â?? Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

Exerpts.

EVS
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 02:38:03 am by EVS »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 07:23:04 pm by EVS »