Author Topic: Leviathan  (Read 36132 times)

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
Re: Leviathan
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »
Here is an interesting article from numerous angles:

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/09/the-dark-side-of-the-placebo-effect-when-intense-belief-kills/245065/

I remember a few times when I had an experience like this, could feel the bed being pressed on by something nearby (would think an animal or very soft person) but nobody was there but all I ever felt nearby was total love not terror coming from whatever.  Strange eh?  And I love horror stories, maybe its because of how we believe about things that affects what we imagine it can do?  :)

I had an Aunt who was spooked because her cat came back after passing, and she said you could see the comforter respond as it's ghost walked toward her.

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2011, 12:18:51 AM »
Here is an interesting article from numerous angles:

http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/09/the-dark-side-of-the-placebo-effect-when-intense-belief-kills/245065/

I remember a few times when I had an experience like this, could feel the bed being pressed on by something nearby (would think an animal or very soft person) but nobody was there but all I ever felt nearby was total love not terror coming from whatever.  Strange eh?  And I love horror stories, maybe its because of how we believe about things that affects what we imagine it can do?  :)

I specifically like this entry:

"The truth is that we don't understand the relationship between belief and biology quite as well as we'd like to think. That's one reason sleep paralysis is so useful as a probe for the boundary of mind and body. The night-mare is "a link between our biological and cultural selves." While people of all cultures experience sleep paralysis in similar ways, the specific form and intensity it takes varies by culture, soaking up whatever local spirits or monsters happen to be lurking nearby."

It sure brings the term "mind over matter" to a new level.

Which again brings us to new questions...

Why is it, that the Western population fears old buildings? It must be because it's in our culture...

If we are scared of seeing or being inside an old, worn down mansion, and feel that it inhabits ghosts
of it's former owners etc. it must be because we somehow have learnt it by our cultural background, or
simply by our upbringing.

Sure, to the logical mind, old brig walls and wood all is man made, carpenters and masons can vouch
for that...there should be no question about how these houses are created.

Yet, for some strange reason, many of us feel the strange feeling of "being watched" when we visit an
old house, and if it's a bit worn out, the more we tend to let the "chill" run down through our spine..  ???

Why is that? Sure, in broad daylight we have no problem, but when the night falls, then we are on our toes!

Some of this is our ancestry or instinct beliefs that tells us to be more alert when night falls, so that no viscious
predator can compromise our safety.

Other mechanisms also stands for the things we seem to be more scared of in the night, and one of these is the lack of vision.

Then there is the most natural cause for why we are scared, and that is the psycological aspect. Most of us remember
the horrible bedtime stories that was told/read to us...and from that rememberance we build a subconsciousness that
we live with through our entire lives. Sometimes, we think we saw something, and then there was nothing...who can
say they never experienced this?

Yet, some things happen....be it in a "Haunted House" as LEVIATHAN so beautifully have painted, and why only
some people are affected by this is still a riddle to be solved as of today.

I have had some experiences myself in my teens, where it was solid evidence that it happened, seen by more people
than myself, unfortunately cellphones with camera was not around at the time.

So, the conclusion have to be, those who think all of these experiences are made up by our own mind, may partially
be right, and those who say they believe in ghosts, apparitions and the like, may also be partially right.

Two rights don't make a wrong, in this case.  As I see it, it's all a part of human nature to be suspicious of what
our senses provides our mind and brain with, and not either and not all is wrong, it's both true, in a sense.

Something to consider, I hope this makes sense to at least someone out there,

EVS
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 01:39:59 AM by EVS »

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2011, 12:46:17 AM »
Lev, looking at your blog I started to appreciate the picture you have there called "Two Balls".  I would love to see a larger image of that.   The whole work is so good in many ways.  What was your inspiration for that one, if any?  It's really a great piece, a collectable for sure..  Must be ppl who collect your work.  I suppose I'm imagining that image should be created on a real canvas though.  It reminds me of Dali's work a bit too.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 01:46:05 AM by tomi »

The Leviathan

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 05:36:48 PM »
The house that inspired me was, I believe, near Lenox, MA.  It was one of many in New England built by robber barons.  The house was incredible in size and was abandoned for some reason.  Shirley Jackson lived in New England and some of the aspects of her book were based on fact and legend.  She certainly was surrounded by what could easily be considered "Evil Old Houses".  The idea that an eccentric builds a house that takes on a personality is not at all difficult to believe of these houses.  The excess of wealth that was and is present in New England is something that most do not understand.  These people are of a class that is not understood by Americans who have not experienced it.  A type of evil is present in many stones that comprise the mansions and do, in ways, exert their influence upon the populace.

I am aware of the house in England used in the 1963 movie.  I believe it is now a Hotel.

As to the "Two Balls", I usually allow this type to evolve on its own through the many CG programs used.

I can tell you that genuine evil leaves a genuine residue that can be experienced.  This residue can intensify and become very powerful.  If one is sensitive, then New England is a place where many things roam at will.
L E V I A T H A N

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 01:50:12 PM »
I haven't been to Chicago for years but back around 1990 there was a very old riverboat attached permanently to the large pier as a restaurant or a place to rent for parties.   Well... I went to a party on this vessel because friends of mine had rented it for their annual company party after the convention we were attending.  Well... This huge old riverboat had a life of its own.. just like the movie the Shining almost.. (without the blood or murders as far as we could tell).

None of us knew it was like this either, it didn't have a reputation that anyone had heard about..  We just got giddy and drunk and adventurous enough that we decided that a group of us would explore the whole vessel.  And it was very large, had a huge engine room that took up rooms, had lots of other rooms that were locked we were able to find access into.  And when we did...
It was just like stepping back in time.  We found a way to get into this old ice-cream fountain room, that was fantastic, it was just like stepping back in time after WW2, nothing had changed, all the orig equipment was in there.. But here's what was spooky..  Through-out the ship were these funny gizmos that ppl used to use to communicate with each other in different areas of the ship.  Kinda like an intercom system, and they were like tubes you listen to and talk into.. And when we listened in different rooms we heard old fashioned music and talk as if people were still enjoying the ship but years ago.

Nowhere in this ship was another party or band (esp playing that kind of music.. ) but you could hear all thse ppl talking and this kind of old time sounds when you listened that night from various rooms we were able to naughtily break into :) ..
The people from this company that threw the party lived in Maine that I was with and they were pretty close physically to Stephen King's location as well and they took this in much more stride than I did..
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 02:00:23 PM by tomi »

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
Wow.. about the house in MA that inspired you.. What a house ! 

That two balls is something that would be fantastic on canvas.. IMO
Sad sometimes that images are only in bits these days, almost doesn't do enough credit to the image itself like that one, should be a painting.

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2011, 02:41:09 AM »
Venus and Golden Orb would make a great glass sculpture. 

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2011, 02:43:13 PM »
"You mean whales?"
"I mean Leviathan, man. That fish, if fish it be, that is to your whale, what your whale is to your meanest guppy.  Don't ask me what Leviathan is, I haven't even gotten close enough to tell you his shape.  There is only one of him, her or it, in all the world that's water.  I don't know how it reproduces, maybe it doesn't have to reproduce, maybe it's immortal.  It maybe neither plant nor animal, for all I know, but it's alive and it's the biggest living thing there is...."

I just want to thank Lev and Virgil and everyone who tagged into this drone thing for without your breadcrumbs I would never know about things like this :) 

Do you recognise these lines from a particular book Lev? 
Thanks to "you all" I'm reading it.  Brilliant.  Illuminating  :D
Hail Discordia !
« Last Edit: October 03, 2011, 07:58:46 PM by tomi »

The Leviathan

« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2011, 09:37:48 PM »
Ha, Ha, Ha.  immanentize the eschaton.  Don't waste so much time on my art, there may be a story there.
L E V I A T H A N

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
I knew it .. I knew it... damit I knew it ... This thing is deep  ;D

The Leviathan

« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
The tentacles of this OCTOPUS cling here and there and maybe just next door.  To think that only machinery with grinding wheels and puffing jets and saucer shaped projections are involved is not to be aware.  The agenda is old, old, old and stands behind all phenomena and yet it is just behind your door.  "For those who walk there walk alone",Shirley Jackson.
L E V I A T H A N

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2011, 11:49:26 PM »
 "Nothing is true everything is permitted"

funny how William Burroughs keeps showing up  ;D
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 12:03:37 AM by tomi »

The Leviathan

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
"2001 a Space Odessy"
"Eyes Wide Shut"
Goodby Stanley
L E V I A T H A N

Offline tomi

• Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2011, 09:43:48 AM »
When I'm finished with the trilogy, I'm sure I'll have more questions other than who is Goodby Stanley....

The Leviathan

« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2011, 02:40:53 PM »
Kubrick
L E V I A T H A N