Author Topic: Ted Connors - Alabama  (Read 158235 times)

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
Re: Ted Connors - Alabama
« Reply #45 on: May 11, 2010, 06:05:40 AM »
Ted,
After speaking with you some more on the phone, I think there are some important events in your case that have not yet been exposed. Thank you for giving me permission to bring these items into the public, and I hope that you can expand in your own words on these points:

1. During the time of your sighting, there was a lot of activity at the nearby Maxwell air force base, could you describe as much of that as possible?

2. Sometime after your sighting, you were visited by two men apparently from the military, could you describe what they wanted from you?

3. You were followed at night by a car when you traveled over 100 miles to another state. Can you describe how you knew you were being followed?

4. Your company was using a specific type of IR camera which the manufacturer later informed you had to be removed for a less capable camera. Can you explain any more details on this?

5. Even though no one had your telephone number regarding this drones case, a man called you by telephone about questioning you about the drones. Can you describe anything more about this?

I invite others here to ask Ted questions so that these events are recorded as accurately as possible.

It should also be noted, that Ted had not heard about the drones before contacting Linda in June 2007. Ted knew of Linda from other things that she did in the past.

Thank you!
A1. The week before my sighting, it was announced by the local news media that a US Air Force and US Army joint training exercise was to be held the following week beginning on the following Monday at Maxwell AFB. I thought it unusual since i have lived in Montgomery, Al. for 18 years and never remember any tactical exercises being held at Maxwell during that time. Maxwell AFB is the home of the AIR WAR UNIVERSITY and the 908th AIR TRANSPORT WING. The University trains USAF and NATO pilots in the theory and history of air warfare and the 908th air transport wing consists of a small fleet of C130 cargo aircraft for transporting materials around the world for the USAF. Maxwell AFB is certainly not what you would consider a TACTICAL base by any means. In fact it is a very low profile base and the only times i have ever seen any activity out of the ordinary is during the first NYC bombing and then again on Sept.11, 2001 when the base was on lockdown. But the week of my DRONE sighting was certainly different. Starting shortly after dark each evening from Monday through Thursday of that week the air was full of all kinds of aircraft including jet fighters and helicopters. This activity would cease around 2:00am each morning. On the morning of my DRONE sighting the activity had stopped at about 2:00am as well. I have no idea if these TACTICAL EXERCISES had anything to do with what i witnessed that morning but it just all seemed odd that these two events happened on the same week and during nightime. I made a call to MAXWELL AFB and spoke with an Information Officer shortly after my sighting but was told that the information on the exercise was classified and they could not discuss any of the details of the exercise. I have speculated for the past 3 years if this exercise had anything to do with my DRONE sighting but i am no closer to an answer today than i was then.

Thanks,  TED
A2. A few weeks after my DRONE sighting i received a visit at my home during the day from 2 men. One of the men introduced himself as Col. -------(*name deleted). The other man never introduced himself to me. The Col. was dressed in a dark business suit and the other man was dressed in a UNUSUAL looking Military style uniform with no rank or branch insignia. The Col. began by asking me if i had seen anything out of the ordinary in the sky during the week in question and i told him i did not wish to discuss anything with him at this time. He then asked if i was aware of any military exercises that had taken place at MAXWELL AFB during the week in question. I told him again that i did not wish to discuss whether i knew it or not. I asked both of them to leave my residence and that i had nothing further to say. At this point i was sure he was going to produce some type of legal document or worse place me under some kind of arrest, but to my complete surprise they politely thanked me for my time and left. I saw them when they arrived and they were driving a late model dark blue or black Ford Crown Victoria. I did not watch them leave as i was concerned that they might try to return and i was trying to decide on my next move, as you can imagine. I never saw these two men again and never received any more visits to my home. The reason for my reluctance to discuss this with them is because of the interview i had recently given to Linda Moulton Howe in regards to my sighting and ongoing discussions with her in regards to this event. I did not feel comfortable discussing this with ANYONE other than her at that point. I contacted her to let her know what happened and the context of my conversation with them.

* The Col.'s name is deleted for obvious reasons.

Thanks,  TED

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #46 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:05 PM »
Ted,
After speaking with you some more on the phone, I think there are some important events in your case that have not yet been exposed. Thank you for giving me permission to bring these items into the public, and I hope that you can expand in your own words on these points:

1. During the time of your sighting, there was a lot of activity at the nearby Maxwell air force base, could you describe as much of that as possible?

2. Sometime after your sighting, you were visited by two men apparently from the military, could you describe what they wanted from you?

3. You were followed at night by a car when you traveled over 100 miles to another state. Can you describe how you knew you were being followed?

4. Your company was using a specific type of IR camera which the manufacturer later informed you had to be removed for a less capable camera. Can you explain any more details on this?

5. Even though no one had your telephone number regarding this drones case, a man called you by telephone about questioning you about the drones. Can you describe anything more about this?

I invite others here to ask Ted questions so that these events are recorded as accurately as possible.

It should also be noted, that Ted had not heard about the drones before contacting Linda in June 2007. Ted knew of Linda from other things that she did in the past.

Thank you!
A1. The week before my sighting, it was announced by the local news media that a US Air Force and US Army joint training exercise was to be held the following week beginning on the following Monday at Maxwell AFB. I thought it unusual since i have lived in Montgomery, Al. for 18 years and never remember any tactical exercises being held at Maxwell during that time. Maxwell AFB is the home of the AIR WAR UNIVERSITY and the 908th AIR TRANSPORT WING. The University trains USAF and NATO pilots in the theory and history of air warfare and the 908th air transport wing consists of a small fleet of C130 cargo aircraft for transporting materials around the world for the USAF. Maxwell AFB is certainly not what you would consider a TACTICAL base by any means. In fact it is a very low profile base and the only times i have ever seen any activity out of the ordinary is during the first NYC bombing and then again on Sept.11, 2001 when the base was on lockdown. But the week of my DRONE sighting was certainly different. Starting shortly after dark each evening from Monday through Thursday of that week the air was full of all kinds of aircraft including jet fighters and helicopters. This activity would cease around 2:00am each morning. On the morning of my DRONE sighting the activity had stopped at about 2:00am as well. I have no idea if these TACTICAL EXERCISES had anything to do with what i witnessed that morning but it just all seemed odd that these two events happened on the same week and during nightime. I made a call to MAXWELL AFB and spoke with an Information Officer shortly after my sighting but was told that the information on the exercise was classified and they could not discuss any of the details of the exercise. I have speculated for the past 3 years if this exercise had anything to do with my DRONE sighting but i am no closer to an answer today than i was then.

Thanks,  TED
A2. A few weeks after my DRONE sighting i received a visit at my home during the day from 2 men. One of the men introduced himself as Col. -------(*name deleted). The other man never introduced himself to me. The Col. was dressed in a dark business suit and the other man was dressed in a UNUSUAL looking Military style uniform with no rank or branch insignia. The Col. began by asking me if i had seen anything out of the ordinary in the sky during the week in question and i told him i did not wish to discuss anything with him at this time. He then asked if i was aware of any military exercises that had taken place at MAXWELL AFB during the week in question. I told him again that i did not wish to discuss whether i knew it or not. I asked both of them to leave my residence and that i had nothing further to say. At this point i was sure he was going to produce some type of legal document or worse place me under some kind of arrest, but to my complete surprise they politely thanked me for my time and left. I saw them when they arrived and they were driving a late model dark blue or black Ford Crown Victoria. I did not watch them leave as i was concerned that they might try to return and i was trying to decide on my next move, as you can imagine. I never saw these two men again and never received any more visits to my home. The reason for my reluctance to discuss this with them is because of the interview i had recently given to Linda Moulton Howe in regards to my sighting and ongoing discussions with her in regards to this event. I did not feel comfortable discussing this with ANYONE other than her at that point. I contacted her to let her know what happened and the context of my conversation with them.

Thanks,  TED
A3. A month or so after my sighting i planned a trip to Atlanta, Ga. to visit a close friend. I left late on a Friday afternoon and as i was driving from my neighborhood to the Interstate Highway i noticed a late model white Ford Taurus parked on the side of the road a block or so from my house.It was occupied by two subjects but i could not tell what they looked like. It is 166 miles from my home in Montgomery to my friends house in Atlanta. The trip takes approx. two and a half hours depending on any stops you make and the traffic situation. As i was passing out of Montgomery headed north on I-85 toward Atlanta i noticed that a car that looked like the one i saw near my home was following 3 cars behind me. It caught my interest due to my training and day to day nature of my work. I continued to keep an eye on this vehicle as i continued my trip to Atlanta. As i reached the halfway point of my trip somewhere near LaGrange, Ga., i decided to exit the interstate for fuel. As i was fueling my vehicle i noticed the same white Taurus drive by the gas station at a slow rate of speed. I decided at that point to try a procedure i had learned in training. I proceeded to get back on the interstate only going South back toward Montgomery instead of North toward Atlanta. My plan was to go to the next exit, about a mile and get off then head back North thereby hoping to pass this vehicle going South as i had been. Maybe i could get a good look at the vehicle and it's occupants across the Median of the interstate. I did not see the Vehicle again until just before i exited the interstate near Atlanta. It remained 3 to 4 cars behind me until i arrived at my friends house at which point it passed by the street i turned on where my friend lived. I did not see this vehicle again either while at my friends home or during my return trip to Montgomery on the next day. My training and experience tells me i was being followed. Maybe so, Maybe not. But strange all the same.                           
                                                                                                                           Thanks, Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #47 on: May 11, 2010, 07:26:15 PM »
Ted,

Thank you!

Thanks,  TED

Thanks,  TED
A3. A month or so after my sighting i planned a trip to Atlanta, Ga. to visit a close friend. I left late on a Friday afternoon and as i was driving from my neighborhood to the Interstate Highway i noticed a late model white Ford Taurus parked on the side of the road a block or so from my house.It was occupied by two subjects but i could not tell what they looked like. It is 166 miles from my home in Montgomery to my friends house in Atlanta. The trip takes approx. two and a half hours depending on any stops you make and the traffic situation. As i was passing out of Montgomery headed north on I-85 toward Atlanta i noticed that a car that looked like the one i saw near my home was following 3 cars behind me. It caught my interest due to my training and day to day nature of my work. I continued to keep an eye on this vehicle as i continued my trip to Atlanta. As i reached the halfway point of my trip somewhere near LaGrange, Ga., i decided to exit the interstate for fuel. As i was fueling my vehicle i noticed the same white Taurus drive by the gas station at a slow rate of speed. I decided at that point to try a procedure i had learned in training. I proceeded to get back on the interstate only going South back toward Montgomery instead of North toward Atlanta. My plan was to go to the next exit, about a mile and get off then head back North thereby hoping to pass this vehicle going South as i had been. Maybe i could get a good look at the vehicle and it's occupants across the Median of the interstate. I did not see the Vehicle again until just before i exited the interstate near Atlanta. It remained 3 to 4 cars behind me until i arrived at my friends house at which point it passed by the street i turned on where my friend lived. I did not see this vehicle again either while at my friends home or during my return trip to Montgomery on the next day. My training and experience tells me i was being followed. Maybe so, Maybe not. But strange all the same.                           
                                                                                                                           Thanks, Ted
A4. The camera equipment we were using in 2007 was state of the art Level 4 Infra Red Video Cameras. This was brand new technology at the time and was available to both the Military and Civilian market. In October of 2007 i received a memo at work from our supplier of this equipment that as of Jan.1st 2008 we would no longer be able to purchase Level 4 IR equipment for civilian use as ordered by the United States Government per the attached directive from the DOD and FCC. This equipment would only be available to the Military and U.S. Government agencies. In November 2007 i was informed by my superiors at work that we would be changing all our equipment back to Level 3 IR. This change took place in late November 2007. It has remained the same since. Did the Level 4 equipment allow for my DRONE sighting?? I have a suspicion but no proof that it did. I tried to get more information from my supplier on this issue but with no success. I also reported this to LMH by email and she responded with her thoughts as well.

Thanks,  Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #48 on: May 11, 2010, 07:34:03 PM »
Ted,

Thank you!

Thanks,  TED

Thanks,  TED
                                                                                                                           Thanks, Ted
A5 This call was completely strange. The caller never identified themselves and it made no sense at all. The caller asked if i was the person that had seen a Drone near Maxwell AFB and wanted to know what else i had witnessed. I asked who was calling and there were a few moments of silence and the voice on the other end of the line said "Nevermind" and just hung up. Still a mystery to me!!

Thanks, Ted

Offline onthefence

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 02:04:55 AM »
Ted, thank you very much for detailing those events in your own words!

With Ted's help in many email messages and phone calls, we have come to an agreement on what his visitors looked like. Ted carefully guided me through the following criteria:
 1. Clothing color and style for both men.
 2. Age and build of each man.
 3. Make, model, color of their vehicle.

Offline onthefence

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 02:56:15 PM »
Thanks to Ted's patience in explaining some details that I was curious about, I have made a small animation to depict his encounter.

I specifically concentrated on these points:
  • Dual image of object
  • Shifting transparent image while in dual image mode
  • Faded spires
  • Stationary location of the object initially
  • Slow movement of the object on exit
  • No apparent inertia when starting to move
  • Total time of observation, and walking/standing position
  • General shape of craft

Ted Connors, AL, Drone sighting reconstruction.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2010, 08:10:40 PM »
A4. The camera equipment we were using in 2007 was state of the art Level 4 Infra Red Video Cameras. This was brand new technology at the time and was available to both the Military and Civilian market. In October of 2007 i received a memo at work from our supplier of this equipment that as of Jan.1st 2008 we would no longer be able to purchase Level 4 IR equipment for civilian use as ordered by the United States Government per the attached directive from the DOD and FCC. This equipment would only be available to the Military and U.S. Government agencies. In November 2007 i was informed by my superiors at work that we would be changing all our equipment back to Level 3 IR. This change took place in late November 2007. It has remained the same since. Did the Level 4 equipment allow for my DRONE sighting?? I have a suspicion but no proof that it did. I tried to get more information from my supplier on this issue but with no success. I also reported this to LMH by email and she responded with her thoughts as well.

Thanks,  Ted

What is the difference between "level 4" and "level 3" IR cams?  Power level or other technological differences?  Do these cameras emit anything?  I know that IR cams can be enhance with IR emitters.  If there are no emissions of any kind then how can it have an effect on a drone?  In other words, if the surveillance equipment is for all intents an purposes totally passive as far as the drone is concerned, how can it have an effect on it so that it becomes visible to the naked eye?

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2010, 08:16:12 PM »
A5 This call was completely strange. The caller never identified themselves and it made no sense at all. The caller asked if i was the person that had seen a Drone near Maxwell AFB and wanted to know what else i had witnessed. I asked who was calling and there were a few moments of silence and the voice on the other end of the line said "Nevermind" and just hung up. Still a mystery to me!!

Thanks, Ted

They specifically used the word "Drone"?   Please forgive me if you already answered these questions but was this called to your home phone land line?  Did you happen to get a caller ID?  About what time of the day and about how many days after your interview with Linda?

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2010, 12:39:18 AM »

Thanks, Ted

They specifically used the word "Drone"?   Please forgive me if you already answered these questions but was this called to your home phone land line?  Did you happen to get a caller ID?  About what time of the day and about how many days after your interview with Linda?
Yes, they used the word DRONE. The call was made to the cell phone i had at the time. I checked the "call Records' of the phone as soon as the caller hung up and it recorded the call as "UNKNOWN". I also attempted to use the "CALL BACK" feature on my phone but since it was listed as "UNKNOWN", it would not redial the call. I also contacted my cell phone provider at the time, a local company in my area, Cellular One. They could not provide any information on the call, but told me if i recieve any more calls of a disturbing nature to let them know and they would investigate further.     
                                                                                                                   Thanks, Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #54 on: May 16, 2010, 01:02:21 AM »

Thanks,  Ted

What is the difference between "level 4" and "level 3" IR cams?  Power level or other technological differences?  Do these cameras emit anything?  I know that IR cams can be enhance with IR emitters.  If there are no emissions of any kind then how can it have an effect on a drone?  In other words, if the surveillance equipment is for all intents an purposes totally passive as far as the drone is concerned, how can it have an effect on it so that it becomes visible to the naked eye?
From the training i received, the big difference between Level 3 and Level 4 as i understood it was the clarity and detail of the images it provides. Level 4 IR provided a much sharper image using lower level IR lamp emmiters and has enhanced optics at a much further distance than Level 3. If you are familiar with most comercial IR cameras the image tends to become less detailed at long distances even if it has a zoom option. this is due mostly to the IR lamps illumination and the frequency of the IR emmiters used. The technology used in Level 4 enhances the light spectrum as well as having a much higher level of clarity from the lens of the camera itself. The difference for me was very noticeable. Images could be recorded at a much longer range with a much clearer image than the Level 3 cameras could possibly provide. Again, my training was mostly limited to the usage of this equipment rather than the overall knowledge of the Level 4 technology. I did ask a lot of questions of the person sent to provide our team training and the information i am giving is based on a combination of the training i received and the questions i asked.
                                                                                                          Thanks, Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #55 on: May 16, 2010, 02:19:48 AM »

Thanks,  Ted

From the training i received, the big difference between Level 3 and Level 4 as i understood it was the clarity and detail of the images it provides. Level 4 IR provided a much sharper image using lower level IR lamp emmiters and has enhanced optics at a much further distance than Level 3. If you are familiar with most comercial IR cameras the image tends to become less detailed at long distances even if it has a zoom option. this is due mostly to the IR lamps illumination and the frequency of the IR emmiters used. The technology used in Level 4 enhances the light spectrum as well as having a much higher level of clarity from the lens of the camera itself. The difference for me was very noticeable. Images could be recorded at a much longer range with a much clearer image than the Level 3 cameras could possibly provide. Again, my training was mostly limited to the usage of this equipment rather than the overall knowledge of the Level 4 technology. I did ask a lot of questions of the person sent to provide our team training and the information i am giving is based on a combination of the training i received and the questions i asked.
                                                                                                          Thanks, Ted
In answer to your question of how a passive device such as an IR camera could detect this craft, i am not sure this equipment did. It is only a theory i have based on the fact that all this equipment was in use at the time of my sighting. I have no definite proof that this is the case. Based on what i have read of other sightings it does not seem to come into play in most instances. But in my view if some device emits an energy and uses that energy to detect an image or sound, is it really a passive device? And given the technology and ability of this Level 4 IR equipment it seems possible that it could have had an effect on my ability to see this craft if it indeed was using some form of invisibility or cloaking technology.
                                                                                                                     Thanks,  Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #56 on: May 16, 2010, 02:59:52 AM »

Thanks, Ted

Yes, they used the word DRONE. The call was made to the cell phone i had at the time. I checked the "call Records' of the phone as soon as the caller hung up and it recorded the call as "UNKNOWN". I also attempted to use the "CALL BACK" feature on my phone but since it was listed as "UNKNOWN", it would not redial the call. I also contacted my cell phone provider at the time, a local company in my area, Cellular One. They could not provide any information on the call, but told me if i recieve any more calls of a disturbing nature to let them know and they would investigate further.     
                                                                                                                   Thanks, Ted
I received this call about a week after my visit from the 2 individuals from Maxwell AFB. I don't remember the exact day, but i think it was during the week and not the weekend.

Thanks, Ted

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2010, 03:08:34 AM »

Thanks, Ted

Thanks, Ted
I received this call about a week after my visit from the 2 individuals from Maxwell AFB. I don't remember the exact day, but i think it was during the week and not the weekend.

Thanks, Ted
As i recall it was about 6  weeks after my interview with LMH. As to the time of day, it was early afternoon somewhere around 2pm.
                                                                                                                      Thanks, Ted

Offline boatswain

• Newbie Dronie
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2010, 05:11:28 PM »

Ted, I have a number of questions on the surveillance system you describe, especially the 'very expensive infrared cameras' that you state you were using in 2007, that were 'available to both military and civilian markets'.

You mention using 'expensive infrared cameras', with 'emitters and lamps'. However, typical "infrared cameras" are used in consumer and business applications because IR emitter range is limited (typically long range units are good for a max of 100 ft), and of course they are easily detected by anyone with a camera phone. Such infrared cameras are not very expensive and even a name brand IR camera with a Sony CCD is under a thousand dollars, with IR emitters running a few hundred dollars.

High grade commercial and military security of the type you imply you are working at almost exclusively uses thermal cameras (e.g. FLIR, Xenics, Cantronics, EMX) which are not generally called "infrared' and do not use emitters. Thermal cameras are also typically thousands of dollars and can range up to five figures.  (Reference: "Using Thermal Cameras to Secure the Homeland" http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=40915)

Q1. Are you stating that your facility uses infrared cameras and emitters, or true thermal cameras without emitters? If the object you saw was 30-40 yards away, it would have been out of the range of most IR camera/emitter systems. The description sounds like thermal but your terminology is inconsistent. You already stated that you were unwilling to name the manufacturer, but can you provide a clearer description?

From the training i received, the big difference between Level 3 and Level 4 as i understood it was the clarity and detail of the images it provides.

Q2.  I have worked around the high tech security business for 20 years and have never heard of these "Level 3" and "Level 4" terms used to describe cameras. I cannot locate any such term usage on Google either. Where did these terms "Level 3" and "Level 4" originate?

In October of 2007 i received a memo at work from our supplier of this equipment that as of Jan.1st 2008 we would no longer be able to purchase Level 4 IR equipment for civilian use as ordered by the United States Government per the attached directive from the DOD and FCC.

Q3. You mention a DOD and FCC directive from late 2007 restricting civilian use of 'Level 4' infrared cameras. Can you please provide further information about this directive? Also, what department of the FCC regulates cameras? I can find no information about their involvement in this industry at all, and I've certainly never heard of it. I searched the entire FCC site and found zero relevant references, so I'm skeptical such a memo exists, since the FCC does not regulate such devices in the way you describe. The DOD also has no authority in this area. It's actually the Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations that sets technology restrictions, and I've never seen a case where they restrict domestic use of cameras in the way you describe. Are you claiming this is some sort of classified government operation that is undocumented?

Also, i have been asked if we got any images on our Digital Video Recorder?? the answer is no because all the cameras are set at a maximum level of the horizon and would not elevate any further. This is to keep from accidently burning out these very expensive cameras by pointing them directly at the sun.

Modern thermal cameras made in the last decade are not susceptible to sun damage in the way you describe. Most thermal cameras are dual "day/night use" and are widely used by military and law enforcement where direct exposure to the sun is very common (e.g. the traditional helicopter chase filmed from the air). Most vendors advertise that their thermal cameras can look directly into the sun in order to see movement in shadows, which is one of the key benefits of thermal surveillance (e.g. see http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/Eurasia/MMC/Tech_Notes/TN_0006_EN.pdf) . You claim that this was not possible with your cameras which seems to defeat much of the purpose of having a thermal camera in the first place.

Q4. Can you clarify why you think your cameras are susceptible to sun damage?

Thanks,

Boatswain

« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 05:12:50 PM by boatswain »

Offline ominoustruth

• Major Dronie
  • aka Ted Connors
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2010, 06:36:05 PM »

Ted, I have a number of questions on the surveillance system you describe, especially the 'very expensive infrared cameras' that you state you were using in 2007, that were 'available to both military and civilian markets'.

You mention using 'expensive infrared cameras', with 'emitters and lamps'. However, typical "infrared cameras" are used in consumer and business applications because IR emitter range is limited (typically long range units are good for a max of 100 ft), and of course they are easily detected by anyone with a camera phone. Such infrared cameras are not very expensive and even a name brand IR camera with a Sony CCD is under a thousand dollars, with IR emitters running a few hundred dollars.

High grade commercial and military security of the type you imply you are working at almost exclusively uses thermal cameras (e.g. FLIR, Xenics, Cantronics, EMX) which are not generally called "infrared' and do not use emitters. Thermal cameras are also typically thousands of dollars and can range up to five figures.  (Reference: "Using Thermal Cameras to Secure the Homeland" http://www.photonics.com/Article.aspx?AID=40915)

Q1. Are you stating that your facility uses infrared cameras and emitters, or true thermal cameras without emitters? If the object you saw was 30-40 yards away, it would have been out of the range of most IR camera/emitter systems. The description sounds like thermal but your terminology is inconsistent. You already stated that you were unwilling to name the manufacturer, but can you provide a clearer description?

From the training i received, the big difference between Level 3 and Level 4 as i understood it was the clarity and detail of the images it provides.

Q2.  I have worked around the high tech security business for 20 years and have never heard of these "Level 3" and "Level 4" terms used to describe cameras. I cannot locate any such term usage on Google either. Where did these terms "Level 3" and "Level 4" originate?

In October of 2007 i received a memo at work from our supplier of this equipment that as of Jan.1st 2008 we would no longer be able to purchase Level 4 IR equipment for civilian use as ordered by the United States Government per the attached directive from the DOD and FCC.

Q3. You mention a DOD and FCC directive from late 2007 restricting civilian use of 'Level 4' infrared cameras. Can you please provide further information about this directive? Also, what department of the FCC regulates cameras? I can find no information about their involvement in this industry at all, and I've certainly never heard of it. I searched the entire FCC site and found zero relevant references, so I'm skeptical such a memo exists, since the FCC does not regulate such devices in the way you describe. The DOD also has no authority in this area. It's actually the Department of Commerce Export Administration Regulations that sets technology restrictions, and I've never seen a case where they restrict domestic use of cameras in the way you describe. Are you claiming this is some sort of classified government operation that is undocumented?

Also, i have been asked if we got any images on our Digital Video Recorder?? the answer is no because all the cameras are set at a maximum level of the horizon and would not elevate any further. This is to keep from accidently burning out these very expensive cameras by pointing them directly at the sun.

Modern thermal cameras made in the last decade are not susceptible to sun damage in the way you describe. Most thermal cameras are dual "day/night use" and are widely used by military and law enforcement where direct exposure to the sun is very common (e.g. the traditional helicopter chase filmed from the air). Most vendors advertise that their thermal cameras can look directly into the sun in order to see movement in shadows, which is one of the key benefits of thermal surveillance (e.g. see http://www.flir.com/uploadedfiles/Eurasia/MMC/Tech_Notes/TN_0006_EN.pdf) . You claim that this was not possible with your cameras which seems to defeat much of the purpose of having a thermal camera in the first place.

Q4. Can you clarify why you think your cameras are susceptible to sun damage?

Thanks,

Boatswain
Thanks for the questions. I will try to clarify and explain each of them.

A1. Both infra red and thermal cameras are in use at my workplace. The area of my sighting however was only covered by infra red cameras at that time. Some of the cameras have IR emitters and lamps, others do not.I cannot elaborate on the nomenclature of these devices without risking a breech of security and privacy agreement.  As of 2009 it is now covered by both Thermal and IR equipment as well as other Audio,Video, and Motion sensing devices which i am unable to discuss due to security restrictions.

A2. The term "LEVEL" was used by the manufacturer of the equipment we were being trained on and was also referenced in the documents we received at work in regards to the purchase of this equipment. In regards to the difference between Level 3 and Level 4, I only know what i have been told and related here previously on the forum. Also, we received documents from Dept.of Homeland Security, The Department of Defense, and The Federal Communications Commission using the term "LEVEL" in describing these types of IR cameras. These i read and signed off on as i am required to do by my duty requirements.

A3. I am not at liberty to discuss the overall purpose of my mission or my work, but as i stated in A2., the documents i received were from the agencies i have listed. After i had read these documents at work i took it upon myself to investigate further on my own and at the time, found nothing on the Internet other than some vague undocumented statements about a "BAN" on Level 4 IR cameras posted. At the time i contacted Linda Moulton Howe and she also undertook an investigation of her own with similar results.

A4. We,(our team) were told by our superiors that the infra red cameras, ( not the thermal cameras and equipment) were set at horizon level to prevent any damage to the lens, iris, and electronics of these devices by eliminating the chance of them being pointed directly at the sun at any particular level as well as not being pointed at the direct Eastern or Western horizon. The area where these cameras are located are in depressed regions so that the have the best overall field of view without the danger of excessive sunlight.