Author Topic: Raj location search  (Read 16720 times)

Offline Douglas

• Hero Dronie #1
Re: Raj location search
« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2008, 04:22:28 AM »
The Google map view was taken in July 2003. 

The street view of 100 Cotton Lane is actually in the city of Soquel, CA.   This photo only has a Google Copyright notice dated 2008.  It is hard to tell if this is the year the street view photo was taken but it could be.

DOUGLAS
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 04:29:48 AM by Douglas »

Offline HeAdEk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Dronie
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2008, 11:30:34 AM »
On the Google Earth, it speaks of an update for California of the whole country.

September 09, 2006
US States

* California - entire state is high res, several areas updated with new higher resolution. Rural areas probably came from National Agricultrual Imagery Program (NAIP).
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/09/huge_update_to.html

11A said that the heliport where Chad was not even on the view of Google Earth.
So it would seem that there was another is updated from time of construction.
But know exactly how each parcel of satellite photos, all are not updated in the same way?

Before update in this year

Actually in GoogleEarth

Difficult to know the exact date photos, none seems to be update.

It is obvious that some structures have changed, and certainly lampposts and electricity poles.The best way is to see them when street view entirely cover Capitola....but when ?

Sorry for mistakes  8)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 11:31:41 AM by HeAdEk »

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
Are you sure there isn't an archive of satellite photo's?

Maybe asking Google maps admin?

Just an idea that flew into my brain... :D

HeAdEk, no need to worry about mistakes in the English Language...your posts are just fine, and very giving to this investigation, so please don't worry about mistakes in language or grammar. The DRT welcomes any contribution, including witnesses that are held back because of fear of misunderstanding language or about being displayed to the public.

In general:

In here all witnesses have the opportunity to "Private Message" once they sign in, and all testimonys are kept in confidentiality, if nothing else is requested.

EVS

« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 05:31:45 PM by EVS »

Offline Douglas

• Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2008, 06:58:39 PM »
HeAdEk, you are doing very good research.  We all thank you!

It appears that Google Earth updates the Street Views and Map Views at different times, ie, they do not match.

The Street Views are updated more often than the Map Views.

The Street Views are often  used by Real Estate agents that want to sell property.

On the Google Earth, it speaks of an update for California of the whole country.

September 09, 2006
US States

* California - entire state is high res, several areas updated with new higher resolution. Rural areas probably came from National Agricultrual Imagery Program (NAIP).
http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archives/2006/09/huge_update_to.html

11A said that the heliport where Chad was not even on the view of Google Earth.
So it would seem that there was another is updated from time of construction.
But know exactly how each parcel of satellite photos, all are not updated in the same way?

Before update in this year

Actually in GoogleEarth

Difficult to know the exact date photos, none seems to be update.

It is obvious that some structures have changed, and certainly lampposts and electricity poles.The best way is to see them when street view entirely cover Capitola....but when ?

Sorry for mistakes  8)

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2008, 10:02:16 PM »
Possible path of Raj drone.

Maybe this type of street layout can be found.  This supposes that the streets run parallel with the power lines.

Offline HeAdEk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Dronie
« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2008, 01:50:47 AM »
EVS and Douglas,thank you for your kindness, you're right, the language barrier should not be an obstacle, although it is very difficult to make explanations that have an accuracy... :)

if I may say so,10538 it seems to me that there is a small error position pictures 13 and 14.

Raj say is on the back of the house, it means that the rear is the opposite street (Geographic hypothesis).

Maybe I am wrong and do not hesitate to correct me.

Quote from: 10538
Maybe this type of street layout can be found.  This supposes that the streets run parallel with the power lines.

Undoubtedly,i agree !!!

« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 01:54:02 AM by HeAdEk »

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2008, 02:04:40 AM »
if I may say so,10538 it seems to me that there is a small error position pictures 13 and 14.

Raj say is on the back of the house, it means that the rear is the opposite street (Geographic hypothesis).

Maybe I am wrong and do not hesitate to correct me.

Hey it's no problem, HeAdEk.  The discussion is fun.  If I have an error I hope somebody does point it out. 

I think it would help if I put Raj's possible location while shooting the pics.

I have taken into account the shadow analysis done by SPf33 of the corner of the building.

Offline HeAdEk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Dronie
« Reply #37 on: September 22, 2008, 07:37:54 PM »
Let me try to explain my views with my small knowledge graph  ;D

It is possible that poles of picture 15 and pictures 16 and 17 are connected by three cables apparent.
That would coincide with the position of the sun, but it would say that raj has not followed the drone between these 3 photos, but that the drone fell on top of him.
He does not mention in his report, but there is at least sure that the drone was above it for the photos 16 and 17.

A much less precise and technical analys than SPF33 but based on the "Stellarium" software,we can know the position of the sun on time, even in the past.
The position of the sun for the month of May, 16, around 5:43 PM. (Time zones PARIS -8 hours):

The position of the sun you know already, but it is just to continue my explanation.

Overlay images depending on the position of the sun:

We also knew that the photo 13-14 and the 15 there is a rotation and a change of position Raj, but I think we should take this into account from the original position of Raj.

We were eating dinner on the back porch when we noticed this "object" sort of hovering in the sky.

On the picture 15, on the pole, we see the end of the electrical system on the right side there are a streetlight, I do not think this is a street with poles on both rives.A small street with little 'influx of people according to testimony.

That is how I imagine the scene (I am a very bad draftsman).
On the premise that the drone turned around and passes over Raj.Because
so different from 10538.
In my opinion, it all happened in the same street, it should be noted however that the post on pictures 16 and 17 is placed just behind the house in a corner (obviously).

Bests regards.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2008, 07:40:26 PM by HeAdEk »

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2008, 09:06:22 PM »
We got the whole house and street thing wrong. The Sun at the time of day indicated is roughly West Southwest. Pic's 13 & 14 are from the backyard of the house, (they were eating dinner from porch or patio which would not be in front), the street is therefore in the direction of the drone. The street lamp is at an intersection, not mid-street, if typical of area. The drone's long arm is mostly WSW in 15 & 16. I'll try to redrawn this to my observations when I have the time.

Another observation: why does the powerpole in 15 have three wires coming in at the top, yet continues with only two at bottom of photograph? I though these were the mains, would they shoot power without a neutral or ground?

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2008, 02:14:27 AM »
Hi guys!
I don't want to stop you guys brainstorming, but IMO it is kinda useless efforts!
It would be like trying to rediscover the lap in the BB drone, it has already been done.

The street analysis SPF did a while ago, I helped a bit, but in the end we got a plausible result:

So thats it. Maybe there's something new to add to it, or a new street configuration that we can test.... who knows. One thing is certain, the sun relative positions of Rajinder and the Drone are pretty accurate in that SPF analysis and I don't think any mistake would be found in it specifically.

Regards
Ark
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 02:15:56 AM by Arkhangels »

Whoooooo

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2008, 06:31:08 AM »
Arks layout seems plausable, with some refinement. Given the shadows on the house's gutter I think the street and house align more North and South. From areas around Capitola I think the street light is for a street or apartment enterance, most likely the later as it is different from most of Capitola's lights, and a commercial development probably installed its own.

As to why doing this exercise is important, is because it would help locate a real location and help legitimize the photographs and perhaps establish witnesses.

And in thinking about it, the missing third conductor would indicate no electric motors in the follow-on from the powerpole in photographs 15 & 16, as ending in a park without buildings or area with lighting only.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2008, 04:30:40 PM »
I posted my new guess because I thought to myself, "what if the drone flew in a somewhat straight course?  How can I make the exif picture times coincide with that?  What if I tried to tie it all together with what is known about sun angle/shadow directions?"
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:31:43 PM by 10538 »

Offline nekitamo

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2008, 03:02:19 AM »
In order to determine the proper spatial orientation of the poles in pict15/pict16, I reopened my old pict16 3D scene, duplicated the pole, rearranged the wires a bit and rotated it until it matched shadows in pict15. Here's the resulting image, with both poles close to each other:

So, the front pole (on the left) is matching shadows from pict15, while at the same time the pole behind it has shadows matching pict16 (although you probably can't tell from this angle). Their relationship is best shown in top view (inset image), but is not north-calibrated, so if you want proper orientation rotate it until the small yellow arrow (sun angle) matches the desired azimuth (i.e. 282 deg.).