Author Topic: Re: Avalon apartments analysis  (Read 36542 times)

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
Re: Avalon apartments analysis
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2009, 02:30:15 PM »
when onsite can someone take measurements of the siding and drain please?

Offline Nemo492

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
    • Ovnis-USA
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2009, 02:34:49 PM »
The laser range meter can also be handy at some point.
http://ovnis-usa.com
The only motivation for the DRT is finding the truth.

Offline onthefence

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2009, 02:51:52 PM »
when onsite can someone take measurements of the siding and drain please?

I assume that you just want these three measurements in inches, probably with a resolution of at least 1/8":

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2009, 04:46:04 PM »
I have these same downspouts all around my house.  I measured mine and used these figures for my calculations.  You can figure out the board size from these.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2009, 05:24:08 PM »
Here are my measurements:

Please double check these. 

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2009, 06:28:03 PM »
I assume that you just want these three measurements in inches, probably with a resolution of at least 1/8":

the more accurate the better, i guess. but for what i'm doing down the half inch would probably be enough.

I have these same downspouts all around my house.

i ended up with 2.9" wide on the drain and 2.5" deep with the siding width measuring out to 4.1" high.

i'm setting up a pic14 3d scene with geometry for the buildings and trees buildings set to 32' tall, trees are varying from 12'-35'.  did we get info on the apt building heights?

also, a quick search here shows we haven't id'ed the tree type in pic13-14?  wondering how tall they are and how much of a difference there is between 5/16/07 and whenever maps.live birdseye view were taken.

but this all may be be irrelevant as it's an attempt to locate the camera position andi think the drt will find the location just by walking the grounds.

so maybe i'll hold off on any more work on pic14.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2009, 09:02:04 PM »
I got my downspout measurements wrong and made some other errors.  I have changed my numbers and conclusion.  Spf, you may be correct that this is a futile attempt.  Still, I will kick myself if I don't do the analysis beforehand.

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2009, 01:26:00 AM »
Spf, you may be correct that this is a futile attempt. 

now that it looks like building 528 for pic13\14,

i've gone ahead and started making adjustments to the geometry of the drain - how far it sits off the face of the building and the angle of the bend. adjusting these 2 things causes me to have to rotate the building which then makes the drain start casting shadows that are more in line with raj's pic14.  i remember now thinking back months ago when creating that drain shadow study that the bend and distance from the building were going to be variables that could change results.  oh well, lesson learned and hopefully remembered.

also, insignificant really, but something i caught today that i never really noticed before:

« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 01:31:01 AM by spf33 »

Offline onthefence

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2009, 01:29:15 AM »
Map of apartments. This is probably the best reference that should be used when defining points of interest. There is so much detail, that it will not show properly on this small screen, best to download it:

http://droneteam.com/history/raj/location/AvalonLayout.jpg

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #39 on: January 03, 2009, 07:28:20 AM »
Well, here you go.  Pict 18 location nailed.  The angle is not exact but no doubt about it, this is it.  It's in PI pictures 489 and 490.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #40 on: January 03, 2009, 07:50:35 AM »
Here is what I think are all the possible pict 13 and 14 locations.

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #41 on: January 03, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
now that it looks like building 528 for pic13\14,

Yes building 528 looks good but there is one thing wrong with it.  Going by the exif timestamps "Raj" would have to be a track star to make it to pict 15 in 43 secs.  It's almost 1200 feet away as the crow flies (if he leaped a 10 foot ivy covered wall) and almost 1400 feet the normal way around.

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #42 on: January 03, 2009, 10:57:23 AM »
Well, here you go.  Pict 18 location nailed.  The angle is not exact but no doubt about it, this is it.  It's in PI pictures 489 and 490.

Yes, good catch, but this also means that these trees are within the apartment complex?
That doesn't really make sense to me, he had to go back within half a minute to make that picture and the drone must have flown back to the apartment complex, I'm sure someone like Raj would have brought that up in the eyewitness report?

Edit: got the times mixed up, it's off course more than 1 and a half minute, but still fast and why didn't he mention that the drone flew back?
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 11:43:04 AM by HPO »

Offline dixonf

• Full Dronie
« Reply #43 on: January 03, 2009, 11:37:06 AM »

This just occurred to me. Take a look at Pic 511 that I sent last night. Where Tom is standing is where (for the most part ) I was taking the photo's of building 528. Over the hedge wall is the light rail (we have been calling it the railroad tracks). There is a structure much like a carport open-ends that they pull the cars into that are not in use. If memory serves me right, I think. We only walked those tracks once out there. If you look closely you can see the roof. It is white and runs right along the top of the hedge. It is right next to the wall, on the other side. While Dave was talking to us yesterday, that hedge wall came up. Our rough estimate is about 9 to 10 feet tall, off the ground. That roof would be about the same. It is possible (I think) for someone to get on top of that roof and take photo's in the direction of pic's 13 & 14......

If your angles are not right from the ground, you might want to consider this possibility. We can always get more information on that location if needed.

This roof location is much more of a direct route and much closer to the pole location than walking through the complex.       

Offline elevenaugust

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
  • א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י כ ך ל מ ם נ ן ס ע פ ף צ ץ ק ר
« Reply #44 on: January 03, 2009, 01:44:43 PM »

Yes, good catch, but this also means that these trees are within the apartment complex?
That doesn't really make sense to me, he had to go back within half a minute to make that picture and the drone must have flown back to the apartment complex, I'm sure someone like Raj would have brought that up in the eyewitness report?

Edit: got the times mixed up, it's off course more than 1 and a half minute, but still fast and why didn't he mention that the drone flew back?
Yes, good catch, but be careful that 1'35" might be longer than we thought!
We have to pick up exactly each spot and try to experiment this.
IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is on-line! www.ipaco.fr