Author Topic: Ty's location research team  (Read 9269 times)

Offline elevenaugust

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
  • א ב ג ד ה ו ז ח ט י כ ך ל מ ם נ ן ס ע פ ף צ ץ ק ר
Ty's location research team
« on: January 27, 2009, 12:02:11 AM »
In the light of our recent discoveries about Raj's spot, I think we should be able for now to try to find Ty's location, despite of the poor clues he left behind him.

1- For that, we have to give some credits to what Ty's said about his location:
"[...]i was on a mountain biking trip with 7 others riders that i often ride with in the Big Basin area near Saratoga, CA.[...]"

2- According to Ty's testimony, the shoots were taken on June 5th, i-e the same day as Stephen.

3- On the left side of the shoots, one can see a tree that was identified by Numbers to be probably a "Pacific Madrone". ("Arbutus menziesii")

4- Ty said "i was on a mountain biking trip".

5- The shoots seems to be taken on an open place, without lots of trees above the riders.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Spf33 calculations, here's where the drone should be:

Firstly, I began to draw a large area where I think Ty and his riders group was:

Secondly, I searched a full profile of the "Pacific Madrone" here
This website provides excellent infos about the plants distribution here and here, unfortunately not so accurate for our research.

Here's another site with a very complete profile of the "Pacific Madrone", including a native range map, and an associated cover forest list.
Extract: "Pacific madrone is a major component of the forest cover type Douglas-fir-Tanoak-Pacific Madrone[...]"
Another extract: "Flowering and Fruiting- Flowers of Pacific madrone are small, whitish, perfect, and urn-shaped. They are borne in dense racemes of terminal panicles. Madrone flowers in mid-March at lower elevations with warm temperatures, and in mid-May at higher elevations. Flowering usually ends in June."

Finally, here's a  great complete site with a counties map distribution, with an observation summary of all the points that one can see on a detailed map:

POINT N°17:

"On upper 1/3 of sidehill" of Mount Beliawski

POINT N°18:

Castle Rock State Park

(Note that all the Long/Lat are wrong in the datas above.)

Thirdly, I also have (don't ask me how I was able do get them, I don't remember! ;D)
the whole USGS PDF maps of the area including Geotools.

The interesting thing is that on the south sidehill, there's a lack of coverage trees, at the same place where the Madrone tree is referenced, and closely to the Summit road:

CONCLUSION:
My guess is that Ty's pictures were taken probably along the summit road (or maybe near "Camp Saratoga, Highway 9), in a place where there were no trees coverage, not too far from Stephen's place, and most likely around Mount Beliawski, where the presence of the "Pacific Madrone" is reported:

-------------------------------------------------------------

For the record, some interesting views of the Pacific Madrone:

;D ;D  :o

« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 10:18:17 PM by elevenaugust »
IPACO, the new tool for photo and video analysis is on-line! www.ipaco.fr

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
Re: Ty's photos location search
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 01:58:07 AM »
nice work, 11a.

have you looked at any maps of hiking\biking trails around the area?
something like this, not sure of the accuracy of this map or how recent it is:

http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/bbrsp-qtvr-map.html

*edit to add - is stephen location officially known as big basin state park or castle rock state park?

« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 02:03:12 AM by spf33 »

Offline elevenaugust

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 02:13:57 AM »
nice work, 11a.

have you looked at any maps of hiking\biking trails around the area?
something like this, not sure of the accuracy of this map or how recent it is:

http://www.virtualparks.org/parks/bbrsp-qtvr-map.html

*edit to add - is stephen location officially known as big basin state park or castle rock state park?

Thanks! :)
I'll take a look.
A quick Streeview search all along the highway 9 could already gives results.

Well, take a look at this interesting map; Stephen's spot is not really in Castle Rock state park.
http://boulter.com/geocaching/maps/maps/us/ca/CastleRock.jpg

This map is VERY interesting 'cause it also gives all the hiking/biking trails, with all the private properties.
Mount Bielawski is ON a private property

Offline HPO

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #1
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 08:17:56 AM »
Very nice work 11A !!

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
Re: Ty's location research team
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 12:55:29 AM »
Neki could use his navigator code to run the street views of the BB roads and see if we get lucky finding it.
I know that Ty said that he was on a biking trip and then he was probably on a trail. But considering what Chad said to us, and where was in fact the pole, I have strong feelings that maybe Ty was riding his bike (or even his ca, who knows) in some road around that area.
Considering that neki found the pole in a completely different city, with hundreds of streets and poles, it would be a piece of cake search the main roads that have street view in that area.

Whoooooo

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 01:00:15 AM »
Here's what we'll see:

Is the trees in the right in a slope, or it is just me?

Something like this?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 01:13:19 AM by Arkhangels »

Whoooooo

Offline elevenaugust

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 04:34:16 PM »
Great post Ark!

I think we have a real possibility to find Ty's location and your work will be helpful, as usual. ;)

Offline nekitamo

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 05:53:40 PM »
Neki could use his navigator code...

Yes, I am looking around... btw, you can also try your luck with it, it's here. :)

MS Live Search also seems useful in this case, with good bird's eye coverage:
http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?cp=37.25861552160592~-122.12213516235352&style=b

Offline spf33

• Administrator
  • Major Dronie
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 10:48:00 PM »
Is the trees in the right in a slope, or it is just me?

even though i set up the 3d recreation with a the camera and trees on the same flat horizontal ground plane i have suspected that ty was on the side of a hill very similar to what you've illustrated. 

plus with the testimony, i think you might be right on; "We were working our way up the mountain and were right on the edge when it happened...So l finally had my pictures, even if I nearly fell off the side of the damn mountain to get them"

your composite caused me to notice more berries in the far trees.
don't know if this has been noticed before or if it even helps:

also 11a,  i went back and looked in the file to see how far the trees ended up being in the 3d scene.  the foreground tree ends up about 11' from the camera and the background trees about 50' which both seem way to close when compared to the actual photos.

and since we've no camera info or location info it's really a guessing game for me with this set. which is why i've not done a lot of 3d work on them.

Offline DroneTeamNews

• Administrator
  • Founding Dronie
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 01:04:32 PM »
Some thoughts:

The species of tree identified... what height does it grow to when fully mature in that area? (I've read that they can reach up to 30m?) Assuming those trees are dominant in the area where the photos are taken, and assuming the ones shown in the photo are adult, fully grown, using their height and looking at a similar adult tree, you should be able to estimate (top-down) the tree height displayed in the photo. Then comparing this to the gap between the trees (assuming the same species) ... you should be able to work out the clearance distance between the trees (which gives an approximation of the 'minimum' open space available... from which the photo was probably taken). In other words, if you can approximate the available open space, you can rule out many parts of the bike trail from which Ty's photo was likely taken. Those spaces (based on the area you calculate) which are too small for the photo to be taken will be eliminated.

As previously noted there are many bike trail maps found on google:
http://www.single-serving.com/USA/CA/trail.php
http://www.trails.com/stateactivity.aspx....m=terrain &a=MB

One very general thought... If I was riding a mountain bike downhill with my friends... I would probably do a loop to make the journey more interesting (why go back up the same way) or I would ride to a place where a car could pick me up and return me to the the start of my journey. e.g. starting from a carpark and ending at a carpark.

Offline GORT

• Newbie Dronie
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2009, 08:33:51 PM »
There's several interesting photo's on the Coast to Coast website of a octopus shaped object phtotgraphed over Soquel CA. on Jan.27,2009(or there about's).The person who took the photo's name is Dominguez,describe's what he saw and has an e-mail address listed by the photo's.It's under the heading."Diamond in the Sky".Investigative team might want to look into it since it is a recent sighting.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 08:42:26 PM by GORT »

Offline elevenaugust

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2009, 09:46:01 PM »
Thanks GORT, yes, we are already aware of this sighting, already discuss here.