Author Topic: Mysterious Ring Shaped Object Caught on Video  (Read 11562 times)

Offline GORT

• Newbie Dronie
Mysterious Ring Shaped Object Caught on Video
« on: June 18, 2009, 02:09:15 am »
A strange ring shape appeared over the amusement park,King's Dominion in North Carolina this past weekend June 14,15th.It is posted on You Tube and also at a local TV new's channel 10 website called WAVY.com.The You Tube video is better(no editing).The amusement park claim's it's a huge smoke ring from some attraction called the Volcano.Although you'd think this would occur on a regular time schedule and would be video tapped again.It's interesting/erie to say the least.I would post the link but I've had problem's doing so.

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
Re: Mysterious Ring Shaped Object Caught on Video
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 02:34:35 am »

Offline onthefence

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #3
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 02:52:09 am »
A previous thread to something quite similar:

http://droneteam.com/drt/index.php?topic=459.0

Offline Arkhangels

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Dronie
  • ~~"Flying around"~~
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:28:47 am »
Interesting is that you can see (Watch HD in fullscreen) the clouds moving west, but the ring stays perfectly still.
And the clouds are moving quite fast you see.

Now, if it's a smoke ring, why doesn't it move along with the clouds???

smoke? haha

Looking again, it appears to me like sometimes the cloud shakes with the camera, but the object is more smooth, like if there had been a motion capture problem going on.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 04:07:44 am by Arkhangels »

Whoooooo

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:59:03 am »
My recollection is that a similar ring was studied in the "Condon Report on UFO's" in closing USAF's "Blue Book", to persist like this the ring has to have very favorable and uncommon air pattern, usually it involves a "temperature inversion". With an inversion it would be possible to have clouds above, moving along in fairly steady way and have the ring nearly stationary. I seem to recall also that humidity plays some role in allowing the ring to persist in the still air and not deform the vortice that forms it in the first place. 

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 05:08:28 am »
http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=uforeports&action=display&thread=5828

See reply #6.

Claim is made that the ring forms from the "Volcano" roller coaster at the park. It may be possible to replicate the origin of the phenomena if not its persistence.

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/11611302

Google Earth Location of Tower in shot is   37 50' 15.65"N, 77 26' 37.10"W
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 05:30:01 am by majicbar »

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 05:26:39 pm »
I'm not believing it's a smoke ring from the park unless I see it duplicated by them.  I did see the Youtube video of the volcano ride and it was not even close to this ring object.

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2009, 08:07:50 pm »
I'm not believing it's a smoke ring from the park unless I see it duplicated by them.  I did see the Youtube video of the volcano ride and it was not even close to this ring object.

I hate to be a research killer, but this IS indeed a smoke ring...99% sure!

Smoke Rings on the Playa Burning Man 2008

Gas mine

http://www.uforth.com/neck19/ring1.jpg

EVS
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:57:14 pm by EVS »

Offline 10538

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2009, 09:36:09 pm »
Hey EVS,

Well I'm glad your only 99% sure because I am no way 100% sure it's not smoke.  But go back to the orig youtube and note how the ring stays in perfect form for so long as the clouds drift by.  Also the location is fixed using the drop ride and the trees as a reference.  There is no diffusion of the smoke as in the examples you linked to.

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2009, 09:41:24 pm »
Hey EVS,

Well I'm glad your only 99% sure because I am no way 100% sure it's not smoke.  But go back to the orig youtube and note how the ring stays in perfect form for so long as the clouds drift by.  Also the location is fixed using the drop ride and the trees as a reference.  There is no diffusion of the smoke as in the examples you linked to.

Hey numbers, I am never 100% sure of anything, as if I was, I'd hold the answer to all possible questions!  :D

The air is devided in layers, and as long as the ring travels in the underlying ditto, it is keeping it's shape. It's also dependant on the meteorologigal conditions how thick the lower layer of air is, and in which way it is directed. It can easily be traveling in the opposite way as the layer in which the clouds reside.

But, I'll not exclude anything, would be nice to see the travelpath in full. Maybe you have a point.

Notice how long you can follow the jetstream outlet from an airplane, in the high layer of air at appr. 10 kilometers altitude...before it is distorted out of shape, it's much the same, just at a lower altitude.

EVS

« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 10:19:47 pm by EVS »

Offline GORT

• Newbie Dronie
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2009, 04:17:00 am »
I just watched the version of the King's Minion ring video posted here several more time's.I noticed what may be a second object that sort of stand's out.It's a small black round object and is noticable at about the 24-32 mark on the video.It's roughly 2-3 in from the left hand corner toward the bottom and about 1-2 inche's up.It seem's to move back into the cloud's.I thought it was just part of the dark cloud but it stand's out more.I'd like other's to check it out.Could be nothing but maybe someone with the  ability to enhance the video image can analyze it better.

Offline majicbar

• Major Dronie
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2009, 06:08:49 am »
There are two posting of this sighting on Youtube, the one with author comment clearly states this was seen as a smoke ring and park workers confirmed that this has happened before. Total sighting was around 10 minutes with less than 1 taped.

UFO over King's Dominion

UFO over Kings Dominion Virginia June 13, 2009
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 06:10:15 am by majicbar »

Offline GORT

• Newbie Dronie
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 09:05:36 am »
On Whitley Striebers website Unknown Country in the forum section there is a section called Sky Circle's discussion topic.They discuss the video shot at King's Dominion.A post by someone who's a rollercoaster enthusiast was at the park that same day with friend's and also state's that the Volcano ride does indeed shoot a blast of fire that result's in a smoke ring at the beginning of the ride.He said they saw this occur numerous time's and that the ring's would sometime's last up to 20 minute's depending on wind condition's.Now why couldn't the local new's station have figured this out?I.E. shoot some video at the start of the ride of the flame's shooting up.

Offline Circleman

• Full Dronie
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »
Finally found comprehensive link on Smoke Rings or 'Vortex Phenomena'

http://www.caelestia.be/ringvortex.html

Great mix of other photographic examples and a few case examples.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 03:20:00 pm by Circleman »
'mind the gap'

Offline EVS

• Administrator
  • Hero Dronie #2
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2009, 10:27:03 pm »
Finally found comprehensive link on Smoke Rings or 'Vortex Phenomena'

http://www.caelestia.be/ringvortex.html

Great mix of other photographic examples and a few case examples.

Very good explanations, and it summons it all up, no extraterrestrials here, just mankind showing what we can do!  ;) :D
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 10:28:45 pm by EVS »